Discuss registration in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mikey12

Hi all i apologise in advance if this subject i or somebody else has already covered but im thinking ahead.Im about to do 17th edition full course and hopefully after wish to register with governing body at moment undecided who_One thing im not sure of i have a major and minor jobs lined up now am i right or correct me if wrong can i go ahead and complete jobs for assesment or pre notify building control.It seems a waste of money as jobs will be inspected by assesor from governing body or is this a requirment dont mind as long as i do it right:confused:

;)
Hi all i apologise in advance if this subject i or somebody else has already covered but im thinking ahead.Im about to do 17th edition full course and hopefully after wish to register with governing body at moment undecided who_One thing im not sure of i have a major and minor jobs lined up now am i right or correct me if wrong can i go ahead and complete jobs for assesment or pre notify building control.It seems a waste of money as jobs will be inspected by assesor from governing body or is this a requirment dont mind as long as i do it right

hi mikey,
when i had my assessment with nic the assessor said that if i hadnt notified my jobs through building control then he would have had to mark me down as a non compliance, but he also said i wouldnt have failed the assessment because of it.
there is a procedure in place if you arent registered with a scheme and part of that process is to notify labc of any work you do up until the point you are registered.
only you can make the choice whether you go the labc route and i suppose it depends on your particular assessor as to how he sees and deals with the non compliance
hope this helps ;)

thank you both for replies so i will have to pre-notify labc before commencing jobs and am i right in saying they will come and visit properties or not ?:confused:Like i said it just seems a waste of money but rules are rules so better get money out for labc:(

thank you both for replies so i will have to pre-notify labc before commencing jobs and am i right in saying they will come and visit properties or not ?:confused:Like i said it just seems a waste of money but rules are rules so better get money out for labc:(
they will visit 2 properties, minor job and major job and you are quite right its a complete waste of money involving labc as you still have 30 days to notify through scheme provider once assessment has been passed :mad:

i have seen quite a few posts where people have not bothered with labc and still passed no problem but it was a chance i wsnt willing top take given the reassessment costs :eek:

best of luck with what you decide ;)

sorry flukey do i pre notify labc and they visit 2 places before work commences and once completed as im not too sure on this thanks in advance:confused::confused:

Its a tricky one this.

The assessors primary task is to ensure your work complies with BS7671, not whether you have notified the job or not, although Part P is referred to.

I did not have to pre notfiy. I had two jobs lined up, and was confident that i would pass.

These jobs were completed within 30 days of completion, and once the assessment was passed, i then notified them.

The NIC do have other requirements in addition to the minimum set out by the government, so if they say they must have been notified then so be it.

sorry flukey do i pre notify labc and they visit 2 places before work commences and once completed as im not too sure on this thanks in advance:confused::confused:
you are supposed to notify labc before any work commences. best speak to your labc first.

as jason says i cant see any problem notifying the jobs once you pass assessment but the procedure is until you are registered you must notify labc. not me that makes the rules though, wish it was and i was seeing some of that money :rolleyes:

ok no probs thought that just making sure will enquire once ready thanks all for info;)

This topic has confused me also, when the time comes im still torn between Elecsa and NIC.

Lets say i have my 2 jobs lined up ready for assesment..

Do i need to do anything before i start the jobs??
and do i need to do anything once completed.. (understanding it will need certyfing and poss notifying after)

When i had my assessment they were not bothered about whether the jobs were notified or not.

However if you decide to go this route you need be fairly confident you will pass, other than that, just notify via LABC.

the correct route until you are registered is to notify labc before undertaking any notifiable work. as you know all work in domestic dwellings needs building control certification. if you arent registered with a scheme and havent notified labc then when it comes to your assessment you will have skipped part of the process and it depends on how your chosen body decides to see that. i would personally notify labc until you are able to notify yourself then you cant be wrong ;)

Reply to registration in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock