Discuss Regs Confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

irishsailor

Am I correct in thinking that you do not need to mechanical protect cables in walls, (Lighting & Power circuits) if they are kept within the zones??

However if you go outside the zones

you need mechanical protection
unless it is at a depth of 50mm
RCD protected
plus others

Please Advise??

Regards

Hey mate.

Cables buried in walls less than 50mm wether they are in a prescribed zone or not need 30mA RCD protection or can be run in earthed metallic conduit without RCD protection.

They must have one of the two above froms of protection.

Cheers.

Hi Irishsailor

You are correct but you still have to take into account the conditions likely to be encountered, not much in domestic though. sheathing is good practice but not a requirement.

Regards

Lenny's right

In a domestic situation, even cables in prescribed zones need to be at least 50mm deep or earthed armoured or in earthed conduit/trunking or mechanicaly protected.

Or if none of the above they must be protected by a 30ma RCD.

Reply to Regs Confusion in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

hello, i am just about to completely rewire a refurbished house. i have done the same to several houses in the distant past. i have just read...
Replies
Views
The earthing arrangement where the hot tub will be installed is formed in the TN-C-S system. I want to install the sub-main distribution circuit...
Replies
Views
Hello Need to replace a distribution board in the next few weeks to allow for more circuits to be installed in January. Existing is a TT system...
Replies
Views
I had a PV system installed by a local reputable manufacturer last autumn; since then, I've received conflicting advice regarding the consumer...
Replies
Views
I'll start by saying - I have absolutely no intention of doing any wiring or anything electrical myself. You get someone professional to do a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock