Discuss Returning to UK / Self isolating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Sintra

Staff member
Esteemed
Supporter
Reaction score
I’m due to return to the UK next Thursday from Belgium and want to confirm if I need to self isolate away from my own household? My wife is saying I need to stay on my own for 14 days after my return before I can go home even though I have no symptoms. I’ve tried looking online and can’t find anything definitive. If she’s correct in what she’s saying I’m going to have to rent another property for 2 weeks.

As the virus is already embedded in the uk Quarantine seems rather pointless unless you are either showing symptoms or have been in contact with covid.

How is Belgium any different to Tesco?

There isn't an update to the earlier document.
The advice is now as U.K residents.

Belgium don't seem to have any different control to the U.K, apart from they disinfect every ambulance every time it's used.

All I can find is this,

When you return to the UK: protect yourself and others

When you return to the UK on a flight from another country, you should follow the government advice that applies to everyone:

• go straight home from the airport, avoiding public transport where possible
  • stay at home and only go outside for food, health reasons, daily exercise or work if you absolutely cannot work from home
  • if you go out, stay 2 metres (6 feet) away from other people at all times and wash your hands frequently, including as soon as you get home

To me it would make sense to at least initially isolate at home from any family as much as possible if you have no symptoms upon arrival.

It may all change by next week.

I don't think there is any official government guidance aside from if you have been in contact with someone who has the virus, how would you necessarily know or you yourself show symptoms. This link is to a withdrawn document but I can't find any updated one.
No contact with anyone who has had the virus to the best of my knowledge.
How is Belgium any different to Tesco?
That’s exactly what I’m trying to tell her ?
To me it would make sense to at least initially isolate at home from any family as much as possible if you have no symptoms upon arrival.

It may all change by next week.
I think I will have to rent a place as she’s refusing to let me near the house.
You could go home and be put in a place mainly under the stairs, go home a isolate from your family. Stay safe. the rule is 2 meters away to you a long stick. Lol.
Unfortunately there isn’t even a spare cupboard in the house as the wife, 4 adult children and a baby grandson are all moved in due to the lockdown.
Sounds like the Mrs wants another 2 weeks peace mate ?......can’t you just quarantine to a room if you even have to?
That’s probably true mate ? but as above there’s no room at the inn.
[automerge]1586024956[/automerge]
Oh and thinking about it I won’t even be home for 14 days as I’m due back here on the 20th. Might actually be better staying here where I’m isolated anyway. That’s if things don’t change with the virus.

I thought about 30% of those that have tested positive were showing no symptoms at all... so I'm not sure how the concept of 'I don't have any symptoms' relates to whether you have the virus or not.

I thought about 30% of those that have tested positive were showing no symptoms at all... so I'm not sure how the concept of 'I don't have any symptoms' relates to whether you have the virus or not.
I didn’t state that I didn’t have the virus merely that I have no symptoms so statistically less chance of having it. None of my family at home have any symptoms either so hopefully are virus free. Going to stay away from the family anyhow to keep swmbo happy.

The local council may get you a cushty hotel room, if you claim to be homeless.

I don’t want to insult or offend your family at all, but you should be at home.
if you do have it, and spread it to family.... then it won’t go any further if you’re all still indoors.
Of course, if anyone in the family is at risk, then you should stay away

The advice also for households, 'Do not invite or allow social visitors, such as other friends and family, to enter your home. If you want to speak to someone who is not a member of your household, use the phone or social media'.

I have not had any physical contact with my son & grandchild for the last two weeks, as they live in another house.

I think your wife's idea (if you can afford it and it’s practicable), is a sensible one.

If you aren't even going to be home for 2 weeks then i think you may as well stay where you are. You're not going to see the family, so why take the risk of travel and infection and all the hassle?

I think the issue is that you are a new person into the household, this could be the case if you lived in London and moved back to Liverpool,,, - If you need to go back to Belgium will you not have the same issues back there coming from the UK ?

I brought my daughter back from Aberdeen. She was in her own room in halls, and had kept social distancing measures.
She is now back home with us, as the govt had allowed students returning home as essential travel.

Unless you’ve been in close quarters with others in Belgium, I think you would be in similar circumstances.

This virus appears to be highly infectious... so it's likely that the vast majority of the population will eventually get it. This whole isolation/lockdown is really about slowing down the infection rate so that the NHS can cope, rather than avoiding getting the virus at at all.

Well the outcome is this. I will return to the UK next Thursday as planned and rent a place from airbnb for 2 weeks. I'm doing this as I am not certain of a return date to Belgium on the 20th as this could be delayed due to many reasons. If I have to return to Belgium or travel to to any other country then yes I will need to isolate again upon arrival.

Reply to Returning to UK / Self isolating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock