Discuss Reverse polarity in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

asdfghjkl

First of all i should point out that I am not an electrician, but having spent the last 3 hrs trying to find an answer to this, I hope you don't mind me posting this topic... I have recently installed some basic wall and celing lights, where the lights previously had celing rose connections. They were fairly standard (I think..!!) with 3 standard cables coming in - all 3 cables were twin and earth. The lights have been in for around 6 months, then strange things started happening (flickering, with the fuse tripping). An electrician came round and the problem looks as though it might be sorted - he advised it is something called reverse polarity, and that it looks as though I had wired the lights incorrectly. Can someone advise (in laymans terms) exactly what reverse polarity is, with reagrds to a celing rose fitting? He explained what it was over the phone (I've not had a chance to look at it properly myself), but it sounds pretty complicated. I dont really understand how I could have wired it incorrectly, as I kept all cables in the same place etc, unless of course they were incorrect in the first place before I got my hands on them... or I know loads less about electrics than I thought in the first place!! Thanks

reverse polarity in electronic is that;

you connect (+) to (-) and (-) to (+) side of the circuit.(for DC circuit). but i never heard reverse polarity in AC, polarity changes about 50 times in a second at AC.

i dont think that wrong button or switch connection is called "reverse polarity"

Sorry to revive an old thread but Id hazard a guess that there was a loose connection somewhere and your spark has fabricated a story to justify his charges.

hi ya ,i think your problem was a loose conection,if the lights worked for 6 months
i once connected a consumer unit wrong ,all the circuits were wired correctly and all worked but because the mains were wrong way round all the "neutrals" were now lives
and with the single pole swich off and all the fuses out i still had a live supply at the light i was working on ,i found out the hard way as i compleated the circuit to earth ,
thats reverse polarity

Reply to Reverse polarity in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock