Discuss Rewiring this mess to a new mess? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

HereOnBiz

DIY
Reaction score
Hello! I'm a bit stuck with this. I'm trying to replace this switch as it's old and it doesn't work with LED lights, with this new one. Can anyone advise on how to connect this up as I'm a bit lost, specifically with the grey wires? Any help would be greatly appreciated, plus I'll look like a hero to the wife if I sort it.

Attachments

• Rewiring this mess to a new mess? wirefromthis - EletriciansForums.net
    wirefromthis.jpg
    107.5 KB · Views: 58
  • Rewiring this mess to a new mess? writetothis - EletriciansForums.net
    writetothis.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 56
The old switch with the oversleeved grey wires appears to be a two way switch. (Edit - it's an intermediate switch!)
The photo of the plate you want to replace it with is rather indistinct, so I'm not clear what you have, but they look like single way dimmers, which would not be a suitable replacement for the old switch.
Is there another switch somewhere else controlling the light that switch operates?
And can you provide a clearer pic of the new dimmer switches?

Last edited:
The old switch with the oversleeved grey wires appears to be a two way (or double pole?) switch.
The photo of the plate you want to replace it with is rather indistinct, so I'm not clear what you have, but they look like single way dimmers, which would not be a suitable replacement for the old switch.
Is there another switch somewhere else controlling the light that switch operates?
And can you provide a clearer pic of the new dimmer switches?
Thank you for the reply! Here's a better pic of the dimmers.

Yes there's another switch for the lights in the room, at the otherside. Can you recommend what I should replace it with?

Attachments

• Rewiring this mess to a new mess? writetothis2 - EletriciansForums.net
    writetothis2.jpg
    250.9 KB · Views: 48
Thank you for the reply! Here's a better pic of the dimmers.

Yes there's another switch for the lights in the room, at the otherside. Can you recommend what I should replace it with?
No, you're OK, your dimmers are two way switches, so no problem.
will get back to you!

wrong - I jumped the gun!
I've just realised the crabtree switch is an intermediate switch, so you presumably have yet another light switch on that circuit (Ie 3 light switches for that light altogether)
The easiest way of dimming that circuit would be to put a dimmer on one of the other (hopefully 2-way) switches controlling that lamp.

You can get a dimmer switch size module which is an intermediate switch, but is not a dimmer. It would have these 4 connections, and its button looks like the others, but it is just operates as a push switch. Then the dimmer you have taken out, fit in one of the other light switch positions, if that is practicable for you.
This appears to be your old switch (slightly newer version):
Rewiring this mess to a new mess? 5F33C16E-B19E-4B9D-8DCC-E8661DA248F9 - EletriciansForums.net
And could be replaced with:
This is illustrative of the 'dummy dimmer' intermediate switch needed to replace the old crabtree switch. The wires would transfer to the same positions on the new module:

Last edited:
No, you're OK, your dimmers are two way switches, so no problem.
will get back to you!

wrong - I jumped the gun!
I've just realised the crabtree switch is an intermediate switch, so you presumably have yet another light switch on that circuit (Ie 3 light switches for that light altogether)
The easiest way of dimming that circuit would be to put a dimmer on one of the other (hopefully 2-way) switches controlling that lamp.

You can get a dimmer switch size module which is an intermediate switch, but is not a dimmer. It would have these 4 connections, and its button looks like the others, but it is just operates as a push switch. Then the dimmer you have taken out, fit in one of the other light switch positions, if that is practicable for you.
This appears to be your old switch (slightly newer version):
View attachment 106037
And could be replaced with:
This is illustrative of the 'dummy dimmer' intermediate switch needed to replace the old crabtree switch. The wires would transfer to the same positions on the new module:
Thank you for the reply and taking the time to look through it all, yes there are other switches. Let me ready your reply again and work out what to do. I wanted to say thank you!

Reply to Rewiring this mess to a new mess? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock