Discuss ring off a ring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

Mynamesmatt

ring off a ring? ring thin - EletriciansForums.net

hows my artwork?? haha

so yeah, just came across a wacky ring in the downstairs of my house..

the whole downstairs is one big ring, then i found one socket with 3 cables coming into it.. and traced it back to what seems to be a second ring......

never seen this done and can only assume this is a big no-no? none of the 'spurred ring' sockets are fused..

advice please (trying to avoid lifting all the floorboards to alter the legs)

Definitely a no no....easiest option is to put the spur cable (third cable in the socket) feeding the secondary ring through a Fused spur. Only problem would be that the whole of the secondary ring is only fused to 13A.

Can you install another cable between each socket with 3 cables so that they both have 4?
Then configure the connections so that you still have one ring, no need to fuse down then..

can you not take the radial that feeds ring 2 back to the C/U...run it as a `hybrid circuit?`

What you've got there Matt, is one convoluted radial! (see SO on the right)

Just make it a ring, link top right SO to bottom right and remove the obvious connection to the middle SO.

Can't wait until you start on the upstairs power & lighting ccts! :)

theres going to be a tv+dvd+console+fridge all on the '2nd ring'.. not sure what that would draw as a whole..

tv+dvd+console no problem, the fridge may be more of a load. Lots of these have a 13amp fuse already due (probably) to motor start up surges. I'll bet you'll be OK with a 13amp FCU for the lot. Why not do that and consider other options if the fuse keeps popping.

get the fridge pluged in through an extention lead with a short length of line conductor pulled out into a loop....clamp it....that will tell you what its really pulling.....dont forget...the fuse in the plugtop is protecting the cable so it could be much higher than needed for actual current draw (Ib).....

so I spent the day hammering the back of my hand getting the floorboards up :furious3:

thanks tony! the whole of the downstairs is a nice big ring now :smilewinkgrin:

oh wait.. upstairs ring is F'd as well.. gonna get some one else to lift the boards me thinks!!

Reply to ring off a ring? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock