Discuss Ring or Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi,

Been out of the industry for 20 years and have found an interesting spark on YouTube who is very entertaining, he made a comment on one of his videos, Rings Vs Radials, would be interesting to see your views this in todays world.

Hi,

Been out of the industry for 20 years and have found an interesting spark on YouTube who is very entertaining, he made a comment on one of his videos, Rings Vs Radials, would be interesting to see your views this in todays world.
Would be interesting to hear your views, my view is that each wiring method has it's own upsides and downsides, I was brought up on the onset of Ring FCs so I am maybe biased in favour of Rings, although radials do have their place.

There has been a few threads on this topic this one is five pages long.

And here is another one.

Its funny how people get told something and run with it...
I've been told but some clever fool that I shouldn't use 1mm cable for lights. When I asked why he said, "got told it by my QS".
When I asked him to show me the calculations to say that it's wrong he couldn't, basically he's just regurgitating information incorrectly.

This RFC stuff is the same IMO it pops up alot and many people seem to get concerned about their RFC getting overloaded, IMO. They haven't designed their instals very well !
I'd argue a 2.5mm 20amp RFC will nearly always be safer than a 4mm 32amp radial that some people favour and would need carefully calculating anyway, its also safer than a 2.5mm 16amp radial in many ways as at least you have 2 CPC at each outlet.

Nothing wrong with either, sometimes its a lot easier to put in a radial.

Last edited:
It depends on the situation and requirements really, I am a supporter of the ring but obviously if it was for say 2 outside sockets along I would install a radial for ease

Ok after reading the other threads and the concerns that it the rings get broken and then you have an over sized breaker protecting the circuit, would the best option not be to have a ring with a 20amp breaker so if the ring gets broken it does have a breaker that still would stop overload?

Maybe a silly comment.

Ok after reading the other threads and the concerns that it the rings get broken and then you have an over sized breaker protecting the circuit, would the best option not be to have a ring with a 20amp breaker so if the ring gets broken it does have a breaker that still would stop overload?

Maybe a silly comment.
not silly, but rings are designed to cope with up to 32A continuous. if you have several juice hungry appliances, such as washing machines and fumble dryers, soon exceed the 20 A.

Maybe a silly comment.

Those concerns are scaremongering and contain unfounded fears.
We design circuits to function as designed, not faulty. If a circuit is installed correctly it won't become faulty. If someone incompetent alters it to make it faulty then that is also something we cannot and should not design for. Any circuit can become faulty if altered incorrectly.

Maybe a silly comment.
Not much point to a ring final circuit if you are going to restrict it to 20A though.

I'm wondering about the maths of a broken conductor.

RFC 1:3 of more danger+Multiple redundency.

Radial 1:3 chance of extreme danger/power loss.

(Trusting power loss-means fault=less testing?)
--it's much more complicated 2/3 to 2/3 !
(Stats were never my strong point )

Those concerns are scaremongering and contain unfounded fears.
We design circuits to function as designed, not faulty. If a circuit is installed correctly it won't become faulty. If someone incompetent alters it to make it faulty then that is also something we cannot and should not design for. Any circuit can become faulty if altered incorrectly.
Agree Andy, no one can foresee idiots interfering with things they don't or can't understand.

See a lot of 20A ring finals in the schools we test, no idea as to the reasoning behind it.

Reply to Ring or Radial in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock