Discuss Rolling stock? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
hi folks,

I just wanted to ask what actually is meant when people say industrial , commercial etc I definitely know what domestic is.. also i wanted to ask which one do you think is best to get in on because i have my city and guilds 2365 level 3 and 17th edition and rest of it (nvq working on it) ..iv seen apprenticeships for rolliing stock technicians and dual skilled technicians and they seem to be getting a lot more then the average domestic spark..

the reason i ask is that i dont want to be doing the same old twin and earth lighting sockets cooker and all that stuff no offence to anyone doing it..i want to deal with motors, transformers, pumps etc etc how would i get into that kind of thing? i am currently working at the moment

iv seen apprenticeships for rolliing stock technicians and dual skilled technicians and they seem to be getting a lot more then the average domestic spark..

how would i get into that kind of thing? i am currently working at the moment

Apply for every single one you see advertised for starters! :)

But, constructive criticism here, work on your spelling!!!!

Walk don't run mate, it will come if you take your chances, I was a house basher, just retired been all over the world industrial commercial etc

Sounds like you want to be looking at industrial stuff then which factories, power stations, quarries etc etc. And there are no 5 week courses for that, so its not a race to the bottom

Thank you all for the replies...in no way am i looking for a 5 week wonder course i completed a trade apprenticeship hence why i am looking for a rolling stock 'apprenticeship' and just finding more information...if i did come across as running i didnt mean to,,

also what is commerical?
what is industrial?
for example what are the things it includes?

I can only speak for the industrial side:

Control systems
Distribution
Instrumentation
Fitting
Machining
Welding

It’s just too wide to cover in a single post. My job description ran in to 18 pages.

I can only speak for the industrial side:

Control systems
Distribution
Instrumentation
Fitting
Machining
Welding

It’s just too wide to cover in a single post. My job description ran in to 18 pages.

dam all of that...i guess you have to do a whole lot of other additional courses?

welding??? is that even sparks job

thanks for that and what sort of work does commerical and industrial include?

Well i'm industrial. I work in a factory. We do the basic stuff like power and lighting, and then we would also be responsible for maintenance on plant and machinary. This is mostly identifing faults and then getting the machine/plant running. At times it can be dossy at other times it is high pressure depending on production demands.

Believe it or not welding is a handy skill to have especially if you're installing heavy containment systems.

Rolling Stock is Railways, carriages, wagons, etc.

Commercial as above; Offices, shops both small and Supermarkets, Banks etc.
Generally cleaner and lighter work (relatively speaking) compared to Industrial.

Commercial is probably more multi-skilled than Industrial.
The days of an Electrician disconnects a motor, a fitter removes and replaces it and the Electrician reconnects it are long gone except probably on very large sites.
I'm Commercial, the biggest motors I've replaced or worked on are 35kw.

Tony on his Industrial sites probably used them as door stops.

Rolling Stock is Railways, carriages, wagons, etc.

Commercial as above; Offices, shops both small and Supermarkets, Banks etc.
Generally cleaner and lighter work (relatively speaking) compared to Industrial.

Commercial is probably more multi-skilled than Industrial.
The days of an Electrician disconnects a motor, a fitter removes and replaces it and the Electrician reconnects it are long gone except probably on very large sites.
I'm Commercial, the biggest motors I've replaced or worked on are 35kw.

Tony on his Industrial sites probably used them as door stops.

Motor changes really were rigmarole when demarcation ruled.

• I would test the motor, it’s got to be changed so I’d isolate back at the switchroom.
  • Production issue the permit handing the plant over to me.
  • I’d then disconnect the supply cable.
  • I issue a permit to the fitters and apply their locks to the local isolator.
  • The fitters would remove the holding down bolts and the coupling.
  • The slingers and riggers would move the motor to the plant loading dock.
  • The transport department would take the motor to stores.
  • I go to stores and fill out all the paperwork for repair.
  • I issue a requisition for a replacement motor (we had over 1000 on stock.)
  • Transport delivers the motor to the plant.
  • Slingers and riggers get the motor on to the bedplate.
  • The fitters fit the coupling and align the drive before bolting down.
  • I cancel the fitters permit.
  • I removed the fitters locks from the local isolator.
  • I connect the motor.
  • I then make live from the switchroom and test run.
  • I cancel my production permit and hand the plant back.

Probably a full day + overtime to change a 10HP motor which would now take 1½Hrs tops including the isolation and permits.

Also,if it is industrial work you are hankering after,you will not only have to get familiar with the function and installation,of such equipment,but get knowledgeable regarding its' use.

This may mean a longer,more protracted learning curve...

I have worked on plant,large and small,and have not got busy with anything,i cannot fully use myself. This has included directional drilling,MIG,TIG and MMa welding gear,de-watering plant,generation sets,stone processing plant etc.

For example,there is an extra layer of problems,when trying to fault find,on say,a large W/C Mig set,when you cannot actually weld with it,yourself.

On occasion,you will discover a reported "problem" is operator error,or even good ole' politics....you will find this hard to evaluate,if the testing part is out of your hands...Tony may relate to this.

You will need to be hungry to learn,learn all the aspects of the type of industry favoured,and NEVER think of parts of that trade as either beyond you,or too menial.

None of what you read on these threads,will put you off,if you are indeed serious....Because thick skin ,will be another attribute added to the list!

Good luck :icon12:

Diplomacy helps if there’s a fault in the future. You cover for the operator, he’ll be helpful after that.
Learning to cut through operator BS is a learnt skill, they’ll try to cover their arse by leading you astray. You develop a 2nd sense, are you getting the truth or not. The usual “I didn’t touch anything, it did it on its own” always raises a wry smile, either that or I’d go wappy at them.

Covering for an operators cock up has landed me in the office a few times. “We know you’re telling lies, we can’t prove it!” The process lads looked after me because I looked after them.

An important thing, learn the process. That way you’ll know what should be happening and you’ll not be trying to fathom it out when it has genuinely gone belly up.

assegayer, it takes time to get in to the swing of industrial work. If you get half a chance, get in there. It’ll be hard work at first but once you’re up and running, you’ll not regret the decision.

Reply to Rolling stock? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net