Discuss Rookie electrical question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

P

petewillclarkso

Hi,

I bought a PA amplifier today, but it didn't come with a power lead. I didn't give this a second thought as I have many leads knocking round, and knew I had one that fitted the socket.

But completely by accident, I noticed that the markings on the plug say 250V, and the socket on the amp says 240V.

Would it be safe for me, and the amp, if I use this?

I am no electrician, I know squat about all this, but I haven't been able to find an answer on the intenet anywhere.

PC

Shouldn't be a problem.Electric supply companies allow +10% or -6% of a nominal voltage so they say.Voltages today are usually 230V single phase and 400V three phase.Hope this helps.Paul

What's that about 230V? :)

Its the voltage that comes out of the hole in the wall in UK homes.

Items intended for use in the UK are normally tolerant of a voltage between 200 and 250v but some also have a voltage selector on the back for minor variations.:)

Hi
If the lead fits into the PA the size is usually okay but check the fuse in the plug it should be close to the amperage on the details on the amp. If it states 250v that's usually the voltage range, when it states 240v its usually old equipment, we now use 230v so the voltage is okay for all of the above voltage range is commonly 220v to 250v.
Regards

Its the voltage that comes out of the hole in the wall in UK homes.

:) That right there, that's how dumb it needs to be for me to understand it!

Thanks guys for all your help!

PC

Actually, while I'm here, is it OK that it's a European 2 prong plug with (naturally) an adaptor?

Last edited by a moderator:
If the input on the amp is a normal three pin (computer lead type) then it's best to use a normal 3 pin plug as some continental plugs don't have any earth provision. The earth protects you and the amp.

If the input on the amp is a normal three pin (computer lead type) then it's best to use a normal 3 pin plug as some continental plugs don't have any earth provision. The earth protects you and the amp.

That's okay, my deep fat fryer has the same input, with a UK plug. I'll just swap them, Id sooner blow that than my PA system! :)

Thanks!

Best find another lead. The 2 pin plug on the fryer isn't a good idea either, again no earth. You could kill yourself using a fryer with no earth, but then you'll maybe kill yourself first with the deep fried grub, LOL.
Those leads are easy to come by, I throw dozens of them out all the time.

Reply to Rookie electrical question in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock