Discuss Running a spur to an outbuilding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

markyrp

Hi all,

I have a bit of a dilemma. A friend wants power in an outbuilding adjacent to his house. I was going to run a fused spur from his kitchen using SWA. He is only looking to run a fridge and a single light. Ideally the CU would be quite close to an external wall but unfortunately it is quite central in the house so only real option is via a fused spur.

My initial thought was to run the spur from one of the kitchen under counter sockets. Turns out that the socket I would need to use is supplied via a grid switch and is actually an FCU and has a dishwasher hardwired into it, as opposed to a plug and socket. What are your suggestions.
There appears to be a lot of debate on spurs connected to spurs etc. My thoughts so far:

1. Take a spur from the feed side of the existing appliance spur to another fused spur specifically for the outbuilding, fused at 13A. SWA from spur to outbuilding and into a 2 gang socket for fridge. Feed from 2 gang socket to a switched FCU, downrated to 3A to supply and protect lighting cct.

2. Replace the appliance FCU with a 1 gang socket, put a plug on the dishwasher and then take an FCU from the socket which could then feed the outbuilding. Rest of the wiring as above.

The cable run to the outbuilding is only approximately 3m in length so there wouldn't be a problem with voltage drop, etc.

All thoughts would be welcomed

If i understand what you are proposing
You are going to end up with a Dishwasher,a Fridge and the lights all via the 20 amp Grid switch?

You could break into the ring at the grid switch and add a fuse carrier module and switch module. You might need to chop in a double box of course, i wouldn't recommend removing the FCU. Adding a plug to the dishwasher would be a step backwards. Take the twin to an adaptable box and run the rest in armoured.

Metal clad sw fused spur in garage with a 3A fuse for light and add a socket of the supply side. Test and Certificate!

You could break into the ring at the grid switch and add a fuse carrier module and switch module. You might need to chop in a double box of course, i wouldn't recommend removing the FCU. Adding a plug to the dishwasher would be a step backwards. Take the twin to an adaptable box and run the rest in armoured.

Metal clad sw fused spur in garage with a 3A fuse for light and add a socket of the supply side. Test and Certificate!
I have adaptable boxes for both the outside of the property and the outbuilding. was going to run the rest in t&e. Are you saying to leave the dishwasher hardwired and run t&e from the supply side of the FCU?

I have adaptable boxes for both the outside of the property and the outbuilding. was going to run the rest in t&e. Are you saying to leave the dishwasher hardwired and run t&e from the supply side of the FCU?

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying, i have just noticed the DIY banner on your avatar. Are under supervision of a qualified electrician? I feel i have said too much.

Yes thats exactly what I'm saying, i have just noticed the DIY banner on your avatar. Are under supervision of a qualified electrician? I feel i have said too much.
I am an aircraft engineer by trade. I have done a domestic installers course, 17th Edition and C&G 2391 but I don't really do domestic work normally.

I am an aircraft engineer by trade. I have done a domestic installers course, 17th Edition and C&G 2391 but I don't really do domestic work normally.

Phew, i thought i gave the secrets to Dave from the Pub! Sounds like you should be fine, just remember to check bonding and earthing arrangements before you start and check the circuit has rcd protection.

It's a brick construction outbuilding. The only exposed metal is the nail plates for the roof timber. No pipework and cable will be ran in surface mounted plastic conduit.

Reply to Running a spur to an outbuilding. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock