Discuss Running cables/first fix in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

E

ed-ectrician

I got into this game at 25 with a young child and wife to support so unfortunately couldnt do the apprentice thing. I did my 2330 and 2356 with olci in clerkenwell.

One thing that gripes me about college is you get absolutely no info on how to first fix! I understand that second fix, inspection and testing is the bit that takes skill and needs to be done right for safety and for stuff to work but first fix stuff still needs to be learnt somehow. I appreciate that Apprentices do first fix for years to get the hang of it but unfortunately i was unable to go down this route. I know how 3 phase motors work and know what colour a warning sign should be (?!?!) but couldnt pull up a floorboard!!! I now know how you pull up a board obv it's really not that hard!

With all this in mind, i've done lots of reading and practiced first fix stuff in my own home. I am getting there but was wondering a few things - firstly what are some different ways of getting cables upstairs. I know lofts and floorboards get you around i dividual floors. Do you just chase the height of a wall to get up/down stairs. Secondly, working in flats if you need to, for example put some downlights in or something else you'd need access from floorboards above what is the 'etiquette' on this?! Surely ppl above will say no! What are good ways around this?

Any other first fix golden rules or tips very very very gratefully received!!

Thanks everyone.

Have you not worked alongside anyone when you did the NVQ as first fix is part of the diary, so you should of covered a fair bit!!!

Just to make it clear, yes i work one day a week with someone and coul've asked him these questions but wanted to ask you lot. There's so many different situations so throwing it out to everyone would yield better results than asking one bloke. Also i havent started my 2356 yet. I have site diary and Will be doing it over the next few months. Cheers.

To try and answer some of your questions , In a domestic rewire it is often easier to follow the original route to get you upstairs for feeds etc. It is also usually easier to do switch drops in the same way. Old houses can be really tricky to do without load of chases because they have a limited amount of wiring to follow, I'm afraid there is no easy answer you have to plan your routes and go for it. It will come to you with experience.

Most flats i've been in have cast concrete floors, so impossible to fit downlights.

You can't really go into others flats and start pulling up floors, its time to open the ceiling up the employ the plasterer.

As for the NVQ, whos signing of your work evidence???

Thanks. Ampdavid check out my second post i work 1 day a week with proper spark! Ta v much lads

I understand that second fix, inspection and testing is the bit that takes skill and needs to be done right for safety and for stuff to work

I wouldn't quite aggree with that. Second fix and testing is the easy bit, providing your skills have ment that all the right cables are in all the right places!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The first fix and second fix shouldn't really be viewed as two separate things.....just stages in the same process. Richard is right. If you get everything right during first fix, then second fix should just be a case of finishing off, testing and energising!

Last edited:
whether its domestic or commercial , i have my mind set thats its going to be be a real dog to get to the next floor, then after a bit of sniffing around i manage to find a route and its easier than i had initially thought, so feel great.
I think its an experience thing and beinmg able to visualise the building construction and where things are when you are on the floor above

best to go in on survay first...just to arm yourself with visual info...such as the way floorboards run (this dictates the way joists run)...is there any laminate?...whilst your there you can arm yourself with tape and pad n all.....take measurements ...where points are going etc.....if its confirmed at the same time that you have the job....get a Ze (ask permission first)....you never know...you may find its high so will need to get the DNO out....this can take time so better to get it sorted early as......

this is why wood butchers and plasterers exist. to fill the big holes after we've been.

and if doing a C/U change to an existing install....just do a `limited IR test`on survay (ask permission first)..that is live conductors to earth ...just to be sure that any RCDs you install will hold....

Reply to Running cables/first fix in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock