Discuss Running Cables in Purlins in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

IAmSparkytus!

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hello

Couldn’t find anything in the forums on this and thought I would have…

Large warehouse, minimal power circuits, two or three lighting circuits, max of 5 three phase circuits.

Would it be acceptable to run these within the metal purlins at roof level and tied in place or would tray hung from purlin clips be required?

Trying to avoid this if possible as some of the tray may be ran 30m for the sake of one cable for example

Thanks

Another option is to run suspended trunking and attach the lights to the trunking, you can then use the trunking for other ccts. Otherwise its purlin and girder clips, wear safety glasses though as they do sometimes ping out at you when you hammer them in . lol

I would say yes…obviously the right cabling & clipped @ intervals …being a warehouse maybe T&E not used..no single insulated cabling though..

Sounds like everyone’s in agreement with purlin clips but not sure whether I’m getting the right picture in my head.

Are you suggesting to use purlin clips/hangers like these and run the cables through them? If yes, does it not look terrible when in place?

My initial idea was to just lay the cables hidden inside the purlins and tie them down somehow - drilling a small hole in the purlins to stick a cable tie through every 600mm for example.

I think someone suggested in an earlier post that they used to make something that fit inside purlins to hold cables into place - this was more along the lines of what I was thinking.

Attachments

• 080F0FDD-1BE6-4212-9CA3-E1D72116AB0A.jpeg
    80.5 KB · Views: 9
any chance you can find a link? Can’t get girder clips out of my head if they’re the same thing, different name but then again, I thought girder clips could only hold 1 cable as well.

Are they z purlins? Ie theres already a trough formed for you to lay them in? NYYJ layed in there would be fine by me, they aint ginna fall up! But if its farm or risk of vermin I'd use swa. Use beam clips to support things if you need to traverse any other steels or vertical drops

To add just be aware of grouping

Last edited:
I see and have put cables in purlins as you describe, but its never the first choice. If the cables are inside the purlin you are only one screw away from cable damage if a roofer or cladder come along. You would be surprised how long the screws used by roofers can be. "Why use a 2 inch screw when i have a couple of hundred 4 inch screws", lol -
If i was planning from scratch i would use my own containment, see it as an investment for the future

Reply to Running Cables in Purlins in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net