Discuss S Plan Help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi everyone

My father in law is having new Honeywell S Plan Controls fitted as the current ones are old/not working correctly.

I'm starting fresh with it all from the wiring centre. The only thing which has thrown me is the boiler has an interal pump as well as the standard pump upstairs in the cylinder cupboard. Do these both both need to be connected as with the S Plan diagram or do they both get wired directly into the boiler?

At the moment they are both wired into the boiler direct. I'm not sure if this is right or not as he thinks it's never been connected right since day one. The boiler is a Main HE 18.

According to an S Plan wiring diagram the non boiler pump connects in with the orange from the zone valves.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Hi everyone

My father in law is having new Honeywell S Plan Controls fitted as the current ones are old/not working correctly.

I'm starting fresh with it all from the wiring centre. The only thing which has thrown me is the boiler has an interal pump as well as the standard pump upstairs in the cylinder cupboard. Do these both both need to be connected as with the S Plan diagram or do they both get wired directly into the boiler?

At the moment they are both wired into the boiler direct. I'm not sure if this is right or not as he thinks it's never been connected right since day one. The boiler is a Main HE 18.

According to an S Plan wiring diagram the non boiler pump connects in with the orange from the zone valves.

Thanks in advance.

please get someone who knows what they are doing because if you read the manual for the boiler you will see its a system boiler and does not require a heating pump other than the one fitted to/on the boiler

What's the pump in the cylinder cupboard for? Is it a circulating pump?

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not a plumber but it's a pump that sits on the pipe just before the zone valves.

Corbs I have seen the manual but only looked at the connections. Does it state that it doesn't need the heating pump?

With a modern boiler the circulating pump must be connected to the pump overrun terminal of the boiler, not the orange of the valves.
What is the pump in the airing cupboard doing? is it a circulating pump, HW secondary circulating pump, U/Floor heating pump, redundant?

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm not a plumber but it's a pump that sits on the pipe just before the zone valves.

Corbs I have seen the manual but only looked at the connections. Does it state that it doesn't need the heating pump?

you would only need to have second the pump if you have trvs on every rad in the house/flat and no heat leak etc to save the boiler boiling (to dissipate the heat from the system)

S Plan Help {filename} | ElectriciansForums.net

Last edited:

Was it installed at the same time as the boiler, or was it left there from a previous system?

It sounds like it is redundant and should be removed

The pump in the cylinder cupboard is a circulating pump. It was replaced by a plumber about two weeks ago. The pump is red hot to touch.

Corbs it is a Main HE and not a HE A. Not sure if there is much difference?

The pump in the cylinder cupboard is a circulating pump. It was replaced by a plumber about two weeks ago. The pump is red hot to touch.

a rated efficiency i believe but doest matter if it have a pump inbuilt should have one on the system unless full trv's

and the pipes hot as well ?

Manufacturers instructions. Two flex cables from PCB one says mains other says pump.

i would double check you have a system boiler and not a heat only boiler look under the boiler and look up you should see a pump if you dont its a he boiler and wire it up like a normal s plan with the pump by the cylinder (which i think you have) , if you do you don't need the second pump and wire it up like main say

Last edited:
Just had a look and it says this in the manual: -

4. The boiler incorporates a circulating pump and expansion vessel. It is suitable for use only on fully pumped sealed systems.

Reply to S Plan Help in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock