Discuss Safe fused sour isolation palava in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
hi there guys,

I'm a lowly gas man but thought I would put my hand out to you helpful electricians to see if there is a better way to do the following!

I work for a rather large gas service and repair company and health and safety as I'm sure you will know is going a bit bonkers at the minute. Obviously I can see why but nevertheless I think there must be a better way than what they suggest to us.

Whenever I work on a boiler or system even if the spur is directly next to the appliance I have to remove the fuse and mechanically lock off the fused spur holder. At the minute the way we have been told to do it is with a tie wrap. Is there actually a proper item of kit hat will do this job instead of having to cut use cut use cut use tie wraps sometimes 4-5 times when in the house in between testing. It's bonkers I know but we have to do it so fair do's. I know they do a red box that you can fit under the two screws to the fused spur which you then can padlock but again that's adding more time to the situation

Hope someone can point me I the right direction

Kindest regards
Hisham

Removing the fuse from the fused spur, only isolates the Live conductor, which is not a good idea, the fused spur, may have been inadvertently been connected up incorrectly ie reversed polarity, securing the fuse holder is stupid as anyone working with you could easily cut the tie wrap, rendering your companies idea of safe isolation useless, There are kits out there that allow you to isolate the Circuit Breaker (CBs) covering the circuit the fused spur is connected to, and these can be bought from many of the Electrical wholesaler that litter the industrial estates.
There are of course many types of CBs so a more comprehensive selection of locks for varying types of CBs.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=s...x-b&gfe_rd=cr&dcr=0&ei=0kfCWezYBNPU8geO9YOwBg
Your company, in my opinion should have sent your engineer's on a safe isolation course, they are paying lip service to your safety.
http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/mediafile/100370766/Best-Practice-Guide-2-Issue-3-.pdf

Safe fused sour isolation palava IMG_0808.JPG - EletriciansForums.net Hi Hisham and Welcome to the Forum !

As Pete says, there are opportunities to get zapped with your existing method of isolation. I won't touch something before it's established as isolated (dead) by the proper use of a 2 pole voltage tester. Saved me more than once. You need 100% certainty that every terminal in the boiler is isolated from the supply :)

Just love to be a fly on the wall when the OP presents his findings to his Boss, the sharp intake of breath will be a wonderful experience, the OPs post is just a sample of how non electrical outfits take electrical safety.
They will probably issue the OP and his colleagues with a poxy volt stick.
Safe Isolation course | JTL - http://www.jtltraining.com/training-courses/technical/safe-isolation/
NICEIC | Practical training courses to enhance your industry knowledge - https://www.niceic.com/contractor/training-courses/online-blended-courses/safe-isolation-online-course

Hi guys we have to prove isolation with a socket and see once we turn off at fuse then do dead live dead checks if that's what you mean?
Do you mean a plug top tester? a complete waste for safe isolation, how do you do Dead Live Dead tests?

No we connect the earth clip to the appliance then use a two pole tester one on neutral other on live then turn on spur, do earth loop at appliance on socket and see and then turn spur off to confirm it's supply
That aint safe isolation Hisham, what's to stop someone, or you accidentally switching it back on, the supply ust be locked off to prevent accidental switching back on until you have finished your work.

Yea they are the ones mate
See my post 2 you cannot rely on rubbish like that for safe isolation, you asked the question and have been given all the requirements for what is needed, yet you still seem to harp back to what your outfit tells you is correct, well it isn't correct.

Reply to Safe fused sour isolation palava in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock