Discuss Sanity check, RCD or what..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gringoking88

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

A friend of mine has just called me up for a bit of advice and I said I would double check with you guys and girls who are perhaps older and wiser or just wise lol!

He has a coffee shop that has 2 distribution boards of approximately 10 ways each (both split dual RCD boards). One of his staff members called him up saying the power to numerous circuits had gone, but stayed on for others. The first time it went for about 30 seconds then came back on, the second time it went off for about 5 mins then came back on again. He said they were all on one half of one of the boards. My thought process is it can only be a faulty RCCB unit (protecting half the board) but I have never known this before. Does this actually happen or am I completely wrong? It sounds like a mcb fault more than an RCCB fault but I cant explain it with half the board going??

Many thanks in advance,

Martin

Last edited:
Thanks all for the responses. I am told nothing has changed in the shop so would guess maybe the terminals have worked loose. Think I will start hear as sounds like the quickest easiest win lol.

residual current circuit breaker.... residual current device.same thing. just to confuse the uneducated.

Thanks all, am I also correct in saying an rccb is the same as an rcd?
Not quite. An RCCB is an RCD but an RCD may not be an RCCB. RCD is a generic term for all such devices, and includes RCCBs, RCBOs, PRCDs, SRCDs etc.

The term RCD is often incorrectly used to refer specifically to an RCCB.

Not quite. An RCCB is an RCD but an RCD may not be an RCCB. RCD is a generic term for all such devices, and includes RCCBs, RCBOs, PRCDs, SRCDs etc.

pedant. ;)

If I squint I can see a dolphin jumping out of water!

If the power to these circuits is coming and going without tripping the RCD's
Then you have problems with a bad/loose/burnt out connection
You should get an electrician in to check it out, or a fire is possible.

Eicr with the boss and when he was checking tightness of screws there was fizzling - 1 bus bar on wrong side of tightening mechanism. Unfortunately it had seized the mcb so we had to replace. Been like that 12 years!
How long have short courses been around?

IMG_4555.JPG

Reply to Sanity check, RCD or what..... in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net