Discuss Scary or Safe? Legal or Seagull? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Now, I'm respectful of 'old school'. Old school built most of this country back together after the war, and through the decades after and nearly all of us see, live and breath old school work everyday.
But times change, don't they? Old school also used to drive home without a seatbelt after Friday night at the pub, eat a fry-up every morning, drag a woodbine every ten minutes, let the kids roam out till dark eating choccy..... and so on. Technology, understanding and education all move on. My very first mobile phone is now a museum exhibit (science museum really do have one on display!) ...... why am I not still using it?

I remember roaming 'till dark but can't remember eating all that choccy....the odd apple maybe, nicked from a tree in one of the nice gardens. :drool5:

I'm Glad things have moved on and improved, as mentioned in my previous post I was able to test my Jobs on the company I worked for in the nineties and tested everyone else's, and surprisingly found lots of faults LOL, times change and rightly so, think about Health and safety in the 70s? or lack of it and then what it is like today.

Times have moved on tis true. Some for the better, some not.
The pressure put on sparkies to take short cuts as always been there. And driven by the bosses after a quick turn around and fast buck.
How many times have we arrived on a new contact to find H&S, PPE, site induction, paperwork that crosses T's and dots the I's taking top priority.

And how quickly all that is forgotten as the contract comes to a close. With penalty clauses calling for a thousand pounds a day.
Off come the hard hats. In comes all that high level access gear that was banned on site, ladders, platforms. 3 or 4 trades scrabbling in a small room to get there bit finished.
And then surprise surprise an accident happens.
At the end of the day, everyone wants to be seen doing the right thing provided it doesnt cost to much money.

There is, and always will be, old fellas who's arrogance stop them learning anything new, just as there will always be young fellas who think they know everything because they've sat in a classroom for a few months. It's the way it is. What you have to do is do what you know is right, and just regard them as the fools they are.

I remember about 30 years ago working in a massive scampi production plant. We were installing supplies to machines and a bloke in his late 40's came working on site sorting problems. He was a brilliant engineer, really clever and quick with any electrical problem. I found him one day, working alone, about 30ft up a ladder, pulling all sorts of live cables in a trunking. 'just getting the job done quick' was his explanation.
Never saw him again but I heard that he died on the job of a heart attack a few months later. A bit of a cover up as regards the full details but it goes to show, it CAN happen to the brilliant ones.

I remember about 30 years ago working in a massive scampi production plant. We were installing supplies to machines and a bloke in his late 40's came working on site sorting problems. He was a brilliant engineer, really clever and quick with any electrical problem. I found him one day, working alone, about 30ft up a ladder, pulling all sorts of live cables in a trunking. 'just getting the job done quick' was his explanation.
Never saw him again but I heard that he died on the job of a heart attack a few months later. A bit of a cover up as regards the full details but it goes to show, it CAN happen to the brilliant ones.

That's sad to hear

There is, and always will be, old fellas who's arrogance stop them learning anything new, just as there will always be young fellas who think they know everything because they've sat in a classroom for a few months. It's the way it is. What you have to do is do what you know is right, and just regard them as the fools they are.

Very well said.
Classroom or out on the job. Young or old. You will NEVER know it all. And you are NEVER to old to learn.
For those old uns who think they know more than the younger guys, think again !!
I am 60 this year, and have often gained useful knowledge from those many years my junior.
At the same time I have often been thanked by those I have helped out.
Its not a competition to those of us who take pride in our trade.
Respect is something you have to earn.
Arrogance and a know it all attitude will leave you with few friends, and little respect.

Very well said.
Classroom or out on the job. Young or old. You will NEVER know it all. And you are NEVER to old to learn.
For those old uns who think they know more than the younger guys, think again !!
I am 60 this year, and have often gained useful knowledge from those many years my junior.
At the same time I have often been thanked by those I have helped out.
Its not a competition to those of us who take pride in our trade.
Respect is something you have to earn.
Arrogance and a know it all attitude will leave you with few friends, and little respect.

Ditto all the way!!

Reply to Scary or Safe? Legal or Seagull? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net