Discuss Scary or Safe? Legal or Seagull? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Agreed, not much testing was done in my era 33yrs ago,but we always did IR test and ring continuity,earth loop impedance.But then again it was always test and connect from the tizzy board anyway on new connections.

I've been in the trade for 24 years now, and honestly, when I first started the company employed over 20 electricians but had only one set of testers, which were held by the supervisor who never went on site.
testing was never done, and certificates were rarely seen by anyone.
even with the 16th ed testing was very limited where I worked, infact I'd say probably towards the end of the 90s testing started to be taken seriously in my experience.
now days, testing I everything, do It before and after you start, it's a very different world now.
The old guy probably has just stuck to the old school way of doing stuff, probably not the best person to learn from, and whilst there are time served sparks still sticking thier head in the sand then the trade as a whole cant complain too much about 18 day course wannabes, they probably won't be any less safe
nope...
the `magic` RCD has taken care of that now...
hasn`t it?

Agreed, not much testing was done in my era 33yrs ago,but we always did IR test and ring continuity,earth loop impedance.But then again it was always test and connect from the tizzy board anyway on new connections.
Most of the sparks had meggars (IR testers) due to the fact we installed plenty of pyro, but that was about it for virtually all of them LMAO.

your dead right on that mdj, we always IR mi cable, both ends on termination, then repeat on another piece we dropped in always!!, ahh memories:28:

Most of the sparks had meggars (IR testers) due to the fact we installed plenty of pyro, but that was about it for virtually all of them LMAO.

Not much to go wrong with other cables then, was there :blush5:

On pyro it was full IR tests and continuity and tape marking, as you indicate.
My AVO was for continuity and fault finding, but very rarely can I remember using a loop impedance tester prior to the 90's. And as for testing ELCB's, well, if it operated something was wrong......get the AVO and meggar out.

Oh come on its a typo.......geeze you are hard to please. I bet none of you lot are familiar with the nasogastric intubation of equines...and it was late...and i was scared to ask...now I wish I had kept quiet.

Do I get anyone on my side if I said i had to point out to him that RCD offers no overcurrent protection? Yea? Scary innit.

Its like the guy who walks into a warehouse and an entire row of low bays arent working. A 10 amp mcb is out.
Now no spark would turn that breaker on whilst his mate listens and watches for the pop bang wizz and says its that one.
Or the breaker stays in because the fault has blown out and all the low bays are working bar one.
Of course not. No one has done that. We all get our test kit out and spend an entire day finding the fault.
Why ??? well because your boss respects the fact that your doing the job properly doesnt he. He wants you to spend the whole day there and possibly a second day. Your a qualified sparks he would expect no less from you. And when you have found and rectified the fault (2 days) later he will pat you on the back and say well done, I'm proud of you.

My old boss use to fill in test Certs in the bar at his cricket club in the evening then sign my name on them even though the job hadn't even seen a test kit. The only tester we had on site was our trusty martindale 3 neon socket tester and a RS 2 probe voltage / continuity tester. We weren't allowed to use the test kit incase it got damaged as it was so expensive. There was no such thing as calibration either. I'm glad he's retired!

My old boss use to fill in test Certs in the bar at his cricket club in the evening then sign my name on them even though the job hadn't even seen a test kit. The only tester we had on site was our trusty martindale 3 neon socket tester and a RS 2 probe voltage / continuity tester. We weren't allowed to use the test kit incase it got damaged as it was so expensive. There was no such thing as calibration either. I'm glad he's retired!

It's a good job the families of all those who have lost loved ones over the last few years due to this kind of practice don't read these forums. People like your old boss are the worst kind of criminal in my eyes.

Now, I'm respectful of 'old school'. Old school built most of this country back together after the war, and through the decades after and nearly all of us see, live and breath old school work everyday.
But times change, don't they? Old school also used to drive home without a seatbelt after Friday night at the pub, eat a fry-up every morning, drag a woodbine every ten minutes, let the kids roam out till dark eating choccy..... and so on. Technology, understanding and education all move on. My very first mobile phone is now a museum exhibit (science museum really do have one on display!) ...... why am I not still using it?

Reply to Scary or Safe? Legal or Seagull? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net