Discuss settle an argument please (bathroom zones) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Gwiggs

[FONT=&quot]hi all,
first post here (brilliant forum by the way!)

i'm looking for some opinions on this;
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]we are installing ceiling mounted 230v Extractor fans in a new build care home (tiny en suite wet rooms, so the fan is above the shower). the ceiling heights of the rooms to have the fans are all 2.25m AFFL.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]i questioned this with my boss because z[/FONT][FONT=&quot]one 1 for a bathroom is[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2.25m above the finished floor level and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]within zone 1 must be fitted with 12v SELV motors with the SELV transformers and isolators fitted outsi[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]de of zone 0, 1 & 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]he said that its fine and that we should 'F***ing get on with it' (he has a way with words) [/FONT]:banghead:

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]we have started 2nd fix now and the clients Clark of work has said then fans must be SELV, our boss has said ignore him because hes wrong, but i agree they should be SELV.

[/FONT]does anyone know if you can mount a 230v fan exactly on the border of zone 1?

Hi and welcome to the forum.

Correct me if im wrong but I believe as long as they meet IPX4 and are 30mA RCD protected then its ok, but I always fit 12v in zone 1 as an extra precaution.

It does say ventilation equipment in the list in that reg. Also according to manufacturers instructions, providing it is suitable

Last edited:
As said, 230V ventilation equipment is allowed anywhere in zone 1. The product must be suited for the other requirements of the zone though such as IP ratings.
Check with the product information. Some say "bathroom fan" but then are only IPX2 and not suited for zones. I personally would not fit any equipment in any place in a bathroom unless it was IPX4 minimum though.

We always got mains fans in zone 1.
Normally ip45.
Same for ip65 mains voltage lighting.
It's only zone 0 that specifies low voltage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[FONT=&quot]hi all,
first post here (brilliant forum by the way!)

i'm looking for some opinions on this;
[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]we are installing ceiling mounted 230v Extractor fans in a new build care home (tiny en suite wet rooms, so the fan is above the shower). the ceiling heights of the rooms to have the fans are all 2.25m AFFL.

[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]i questioned this with my boss because z[/FONT][FONT=&quot]one 1 for a bathroom is[/FONT][FONT=&quot] 2.25m above the finished floor level and [/FONT][FONT=&quot]within zone 1 must be fitted with 12v SELV motors with the SELV transformers and isolators fitted outsi[/FONT][FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]de of zone 0, 1 & 2.[/FONT]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]he said that its fine and that we should 'F***ing get on with it' (he has a way with words) [/FONT]:banghead:

[FONT=Trebuchet MS, Segoe UI, Candara, Bitstream Vera Sans, DejaVu Sans, Bitstream Vera Sans, Verdana, Verdana Ref, sans-serif]we have started 2nd fix now and the clients Clark of work has said then fans must be SELV, our boss has said ignore him because hes wrong, but i agree they should be SELV.

[/FONT]does anyone know if you can mount a 230v fan exactly on the border of zone 1?

And which regulation did you use to support your argument?

As has been suggested earlier in the thread, the specification may require SELV fans above and beyond the requirements of the regulations, and in that case you have to work to the specification.
The regulations are only a minimum standard, a job spec can exceed the requirements of the regulations.

Reply to settle an argument please (bathroom zones) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net