Discuss Shower in a utility room? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have a small utility room which has a double 13amp socket from which a washing machine is powered. I'd like to install a show cubicle in the same room but this would mean the 13amp socket would be about 2 metres from the shower which is I believe, non-compliant. Is there any compliant way of doing this, e.g. some kind of upgraded 13amp socket that could be installed?

I saw a utility room recently that had been converted into a shower room..
...3 x 2 gang sockets within 2 meters of the shower....

Change the socket to a three gang grid with fuse holder, switch and cord outlet providing it is suitable for the location.

Where did this 3M distance come from then? You can't stand in the shower or bath and touch a socket that is 2M away, unless you are an orangutan. My fingertips are 1.8M apart. You can wander about after you exit the shower and touch anything you wanted........Just thought this might start some light banter for a Saturday evening. Oh obey-do, I want to be like you-oo-oo.

i think the 3m rule was to prevent some numpty female using a hairdryer in bath/shower.

We test a supported living dwelling and the small ground floor bedroom has had a shower cubicle fitted, none of the sockets meet this requirement asked how this can be resolved I said blank off all the sockets or remove the shower, been like it for over five years.

I've got a downstairs utility/shower room pretty much like the one the OP mentions, it's handy for Mrs Burnout when she comes in covered in sweat and privet leaves after cutting the hedge. When the Stroma guy came to do the assessment I couldn't be arsed taking him to site so I suggested he looked at the Recently replaced shower. Halfway through the testing I noticed that there was a socket that the freezer used to be plugged into, about 1.5M from the shower, ooops, carry on Sparks I thought. Did he comment on it? Nah.......

You can get a weatherproof IP56 FCU for a belt and braces approach!
How big are people’s utility rooms, sound bigger than my bathroom (though that has got a bog in it - trumped!)

I do like the thought of @sparksburnout measuring his arm span with a tape measure with mrs sparksburnout scratching her head!
Priceless!
it's handy for Mrs Burnout when she comes in covered in sweat and privet leaves after cutting the hedge....
Prize for best Saturday night euphemism goes to . . . . . .

Reply to Shower in a utility room? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net