Discuss Shower overheating. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Iona222

Trainee
Reaction score
Gents, I found this in a shower ( photo)

What would you say is the best course of action.

1, new shower.
Or
2, Replace cable. Replace connector block. 60amp connector block?

Cheers.

Attachments

• 20210728_104019.jpg
    269.5 KB · Views: 60
Caused by bad work but should be repairable. The connector block is part of the shower so a replacement terminal block from the manufacturer. Unit needs testing but should be OK, age and condition dependant.
Loose connection so hopefully there's plenty of cable available for cutting back damaged.

Ensure that the cable from within the shower is not corroded from the heat, otherwise when you replace the terminal block you will still get a high-resistance connection. Check that the plastic of the housing has not been compromised too. It looks like one of the retaining clips that holds the terminal block is damaged. If the '-2021' on the back is the date, it ought to be worth the effort of repairing.

Is that corrosion on the edge?

30A81D36-027C-4974-BF03-145B803C77F2.png
If it was just the connector, you’de source that at one of the many online spare parts stockists, but it looks like the retaining clip is melted.

Ensure that the cable from within the shower is not corroded from the heat, otherwise when you replace the terminal block you will still get a high-resistance connection. Check that the plastic of the housing has not been compromised too. It looks like one of the retaining clips that holds the terminal block is damaged. If the '-2021' on the back is the date, it ought to be worth the effort of repairing.
I'll see if he wants to fix or repair, if he says repair ill see if I can get some block from manufactor, good advice cheers.

block is block.i'dget a ceramic one instead of softy softy polysh*t..

However it is supposed to be fixed in place as it is part of the appliance. If not fixed, you can't guarantee the creepage distance if moisture gets inside.

block is block

But some block is cheap tat that will corrode at the drop of a hat in a shower environment. e.g. thin plain brass tube and cheap, undersized screws with BZP that is merely decorative, with just a couple of turns of thread engaged. Good block has a plated tube with a thick bit at the top for the screws to get a good purchase in, and accurately made screws with flat ends, strong heads and heavy plating. Anything will probably work when it's clean and new but will it still be a good connection after 18 months?

I wouldn't be surprised if the internal wiring has ultrasonic welded compacted ends, like the link cables in CUs etc. They have the advantage over ferrules of not introducing extra contact surfaces which can make a difference in high current density situations.

They are usually untreated fine stranded wires, the connector blocks having that spring leaf bit to stop the screw chewing the strands and stop the strands going up the side of the screw.

I wouldn't be surprised if the internal wiring has ultrasonic welded compacted ends, like the link cables in CUs etc. They have the advantage over ferrules of not introducing extra contact surfaces which can make a difference in high current density situations.
On the internal wiring yes, my post was relating to the feed cable to the shower unit.

Reply to Shower overheating. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net