Discuss Sick of poor service in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Is it just my experience ? Some, not all shops I go in ( Not just electrical ) make me feel like they are doing me a favour by parting with my wonga, an example..I needed some spares for something I needed to repair, so thought..Buy British, orders the bits, around £60 worth, four weeks later still waiting, says to the owner of said shop..his fat assed reply ? " well you know what it's like when you order silly bits " !!...

So I ordered the same parts from the states, paid by CC 1.5 weeks yes 1.5 weeks later that box was at my door ! all nicely boxed..the yanks know how to provide a service they really do..and customs never slapped me so well happy.

J

I tend to use a lot of local smaller shops, get a friendly and helpful service unlike the faceless giants of the retail world. I have found Lidl to be really good, clean stores, well laid out and helpful staff unlike the miserable fat munter down Tescos...

The yanks seem to take it more seriously - they realise that without any customers they wouldn't have a business and they wouldn't have a job, while in this country you seem to get more of a 'Post Office' style service where they know full well that you haven't got any other choice so they can treat you how they want.
It's not down to the company - they're hiring staff not programming robots, but some seem to encourage their staff to turn up on time and be there for the required amount of time, rather than to treat customers with any kind of respect.

American service is much better in the USA, especially in restaurants but that's because they are usually angling for a tip. But I agree with you, it used to be back in the 80s you could walk into a shop and you would be greeted first, rarely happens now.

In the U.S they're programmed to say "have a nice day", in their shrill voices, which is like nails down a chalk board to me though.

But you are correct, America has customer service, we do not.

It could be worse though, try being English in a Glasgow greasy spoon cafe and asking for an English breakfast, I thought he was going to kill me! Instaed, through gritted teeth, he explained that they only serve Scottish breakfasts!

It could be worse though, try being English in a Glasgow greasy spoon cafe and asking for an English breakfast, I thought he was going to kill me!

Awkward moment!

What really boils my wee is when you ring some large company and a robot answers the phone. It invariably plays you The Four Seasons by Vivaldi and every two minutes tells you how important your call is and that an agent will be with you as soon as one is available.
If it's that important why can't they employ a human and if you have to be on hold why not play something different

I agree it tends to be the larger companies who offer the worst service - you get these people who just want to clock in in the morning, clock out at the end of the day and get paid at the end of the month, and couldn't care less what happens in between.
I had to renew my car insurance today; got a quote on gocompare which was about 30 quid cheaper than my renewal notice, but the website told me to call them. Sat on hold for ages then spoke to some surly old woman who didn't seem interested in anything I had to say (I wanted to be taken off their 3rd party mailing list). The quote was for £210 but she insisted it was something like £218 because there was an admin charge which she reckoned she couldn't take off (I worked in an insurance call centre for a while and we were told to do it if it could be a deal-breaker), so I got fed up and hung up. Just called back and the guy got it down to £208 without having to argue at all, so happy with that.

There's a tobacconists on my local high street which I always try to use because the couple who run it are always really friendly and stop for a chat; it's clear that they value my business so I'm happy to let them have it even though it might mean planning ahead or going out of my way.

Right, off to post a letter of complaint to the local bus company...

One of my pet hates is self service check outs I refuse to use them even if I have to Que for fifteen minutes they rob people of jobs and the likes of Tesco make even more money

J

They should give you a discount for using them your saving them a staff wage and doing the job yourself. Mind you I was told by a student that there great as you can sneak stuff past them.

Reply to Sick of poor service in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock