Discuss Silver Crest Electric Oven with Grill SGB 1380 A1 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

celt2005

DIY
Reaction score
Thank you for reading

I bought the above counter top oven, its a 16 Amp plug to connect to mains around five years ago. It was left in its box, for emergency use.

I took it out, and used it. I turned on the oven and It tripped the RCD on my Kitchen Fuse Unit.

I plugged in into plugs I have on a 20 Amp circuit on my main fuse unit, they have no other load on them.

This time, it blew the fuse on the Oven.

Do you know what the issues is, and is there a solution ?

The mineral insulation in the tubular heating elements can absorb moisture over a long period, so you end up with excessive earth leakage. As mentioned, easy to check, even with an ordinary multimeter.

I've heard a leaky element can be dried out and returned to service, either by removing it and baking it in another oven, or by putting current through it, say from an isolated supply and/or variac.
Not sure why the fuse went, unless your 20A plug is not on an RCD!

Alternatively you might be able to obtain another element to replace the faulty one. Best to do some testing first though.

Last edited:
although sometimes you can get away with drying the elements out by either baking in oven for a couple of hours or by powering them up without an rcd,

if there is enough moisture in there, it can corrode the wire in the element, causing a premature failure.
also if there is no way for the vapour to easily escape, the increase in pressure by turning water to steam can blow an element.

You're going to have to get an electrician in to test it because it needs a special high voltage insulation tester. As mentioned above, unused elements can absorb moisture from the atmosphere and eventually cause tripping. If that's the problem they're probably salvageable by removing them and placing them in a hot oven overnight. There's also an old Apache trick using an oxy-acetelene torch but nowadays it doesn't pass muster with the health and safety regs so oven baking them is best....

The mineral insulation in the tubular heating elements can absorb moisture over a long period, so you end up with excessive earth leakage. As mentioned, easy to check, even with an ordinary multimeter.

I've heard a leaky element can be dried out and returned to service, either by removing it and baking it in another oven, or by putting current through it, say from an isolated supply and/or variac.
Not sure why the fuse went, unless your 20A plug is not on an RCD!

Alternatively you might be able to obtain another element to replace the faulty one. Best to do some testing first though.
Thanks for the reply Avo,

Appreciate you taking the time to help me understand

Apologies for the confusion, it was the 13 Amp fuse in the plug that went, not the 20 Amp Fuse in the Main House FuseBox ... plugged in the cooker, and turned the heat up ... nothing, and no burnng fuse

although sometimes you can get away with drying the elements out by either baking in oven for a couple of hours or by powering them up without an rcd,

if there is enough moisture in there, it can corrode the wire in the element, causing a premature failure.
also if there is no way for the vapour to easily escape, the increase in pressure by turning water to steam can blow an element.
Thank you James

You have helped me understand this problem

I work in Networking ( CISCO ) , and this reminds me of a problem I had

A WiFi Access Point was not working, and it was my first trip to the site. It was in a large freezer, so cold, I could only bring Laptop in for two minutes.

The AP was frozen in a block of ice , I had to use a knife to take it off the wall , and boil kettles of water to steam the block of ice off .... it still worked , but meantime before failure was impacted !!!

You're going to have to get an electrician in to test it because it needs a special high voltage insulation tester. As mentioned above, unused elements can absorb moisture from the atmosphere and eventually cause tripping. If that's the problem they're probably salvageable by removing them and placing them in a hot oven overnight. There's also an old Apache trick using an oxy-acetelene torch but nowadays it doesn't pass muster with the health and safety regs so oven baking them is best....

Thanks Marvo

Its great you lads give of your experience to help others understand problems

Very much appreciated

Reply to Silver Crest Electric Oven with Grill SGB 1380 A1 in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net