Discuss Smoke /Carbon detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys,
Question for those that install smoke and carbon detectors.
This situation, mid terrace 2 storey 2 bed house.
Typically most houses have a smoke detector on the landing.
I was proposing installing:
1 x smoke on landing
Open Dining/Kitchen -1 x smoke dining room end.
1 x carbon kitchen end (near gas cooker)
However customer asked an interesting question about the gas boiler which is situated on the landing in an old airing cupboard.
Would it better to install a smoke and a carbon on the landing?
Is there a combination unit worth installing? Is that practical?
Thanks
PS System hard wired

Be interesting to know at what height people are installing CO detectors? Had a fireman round to check my chimney the other day and he mentioned having CO detectors at pillow height in bedrooms. Must admit that logically you’d place them close to any source that poses a risk of incomplete combustion ie anything with a flame

Hmmm, doesn't seem very practical to have a detector at 1m height in the bedroom?
AFAIK we must have a CO detector for a solid fuel appliance and we should have one for each gas appliance.

At normal temperature Co is heavier than air so it gathers at low levels. As it leaves an appliance it is warm so it rises to ceiling height. A Detector on the ceiling close to any appliance is likely to detect it early. Further away from the source, as the gas cooled and dropped, a ceiling detector would have to wait for the room to fill up with Co. Hence in bedrooms pillow height is recommended as by the time the detector operated at ceiling height it would be unlikely to wake you as you would be dead.

Remember as a student in a bed sit in Manchester Mrs F A to be and I had a gas fire in our room. Cos it was very cold we taped a layer of polythene over the window. One evening Mrs F A to be started to throw up (not down to usual student excesses :rolleyes:). Ended up down A&E for a few hours with very disinterested medics. Couldn’t work out problem but then realised it was more than likely CO poisoning. Much prefer sleeping in a cold bedroom with window open even in winter.

At normal temperature Co is heavier than air so it gathers at low levels. As it leaves an appliance it is warm so it rises to ceiling height. A Detector on the ceiling close to any appliance is likely to detect it early. Further away from the source, as the gas cooled and dropped, a ceiling detector would have to wait for the room to fill up with Co. Hence in bedrooms pillow height is recommended as by the time the detector operated at ceiling height it would be unlikely to wake you as you would be dead.
Yes, you would need a whole different means of comms by then ... It's just new to me, in that I put them near to the appliance that could generate CO and so it's always detected early, in theory (?).

Reply to Smoke /Carbon detectors in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net