Currently reading:
Smoke detectors my first post

Discuss Smoke detectors my first post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

Andy hughes

What is your take on smoke detectors on new domestic house holds. Just had my assesment from the niceic and he has told me to come of lighting circuit. Instead of it been on its own mcb. My argument was there is no reg stating this. His reply was that what we expect.

I was always tought to install them supplied from a dedicated circuit. I don't see there being a problem installing them on a lighting circuit - at least you would know that your smokes were dead if you lost power to your lights I suppose

As I've said before, don't think of it as a lighting circuit. It is a 6 amp circuit that may have shaver points, fans, lights, and TV boosters on. No problem adding another low power device like a smoke alarm array to it!

If it's on a dedicated circuit and the MCB trips out at some point, or gets knocked, then you'll never know your smoke detectors are no longer working. Daz

...but most mains ones have fixed batteries in them which will keep them working for months without mains power and will make them beep incessantly until you restore power or batter them off the ceiling with a broom.

Fair points, assuming the batteries are good and haven't just been left in there for years without a thought.

I always put smokes on the lighting circuit and label it accordingly. I was always taught that its easy for someone to switch off mcb if they burn the dinner and forget to turn it back on, but dont think they would forget about turning their lights back on

I am also with NIC and they do my head in, who gives a f... what they like we should ALL follow regs but they feel they are above it. I go along along with them and nod my head in right places then when I pass and they have ****ed off do as the regs say or is sensible at time eg come off lights and radio base between, or dedicated circuit on new install

Agree with Murdoch these guys bump their gumms but then again when this happens you should always ask "O what regulation does that come under ?" when you get the Ah well I believe its good practice then tell him well the guy who assessed mr the last time said I could then watch him flap

Ok lets put this to bed, the BS5839 part 6 states a mains detector should be on its own circuit and not protected by a RCD or rcbo but and mcb, the mcb provides meens of isolation...But if the mains detector has battery support, It can be supplied off 1. a dedicated circuit or 2 a common lighting circuit. If the requirement to protect the said circuit by and rcd or rcbo is a requirement by IEE then it must be followed, exclusion of RCD or RCBO being used is within a T T supply

Last edited:

Reply to Smoke detectors my first post in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back