Discuss Sole trader CPS? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Im a sole trader and work for a few different firms all year, i always get family and friends asking me to do private work for them but as im not with a scheme i cant issue a certificate.
Can i join a scheme without creating a business And just stay a sole trade? just want to complete a few DB changes ect a year and certify.

Nothing to stop you issuing a certificate in accordance with BS7671 if you are competent to do so. Being in a CPS doesn't affect that. If you need to notify LBC then that's where it comes in useful.

Im a sole trader and work for a few different firms all year, i always get family and friends asking me to do private work for them but as im not with a scheme i cant issue a certificate.
Can i join a scheme without creating a business And just stay a sole trade? just want to complete a few DB changes ect a year and certify.

As above, do you mean certify or notify? A certificate should always be provided regardless.

The worst payers/complainers are family and friends, I would keep telling them you can't issue the certificate, so can't do the work.

^^second that!, getting registered just to work for family and friends.......your crazy!
avoid these jobs like the plague if you value your weekends/free time and actually expect getting paid for your work! Lol

If you don't do a lot of notifiable work then joining a scheme is going to be an expensive thing to do - unless you find yourself with clients who impose restrictions*.
If you get asked to do notifiable work, just quote for it, and point out that it's the customer who is responsible for notifying the LABC dept before work starts and paying whatever the LABC requires. As long as you point that out in writing in your quote, you are in the clear if the customer "forgets" to do it.
* One example is that under Church of England standing rules, the PCC (Parochial Church Council) is only supposed to employ electricians who are members of an approved scheme. I can sort of understand that since it sort-of outsources the task of filtering electricians based on ability and removed the liability from (generally very non-technical) PCC members of having to figure out if a trade they are planning to employ is "competent". But of course, we all know how well the schemes enforce standards as long as they get their membership fees. Our PCC decided to take a "flexible" view on the requirements - allowing me to sort out the mess they had while I was "between employers", covering the costs of my insurance and a bit of pocket money.

Reply to Sole trader CPS? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock