Discuss Sounds like good advise? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Went to see a Tutor today at Coventry Building Workshop, Exhall.

After explaining my background /experience , and looking at my current C&G, suggested doing the following:

C&G 2382 - 5 Days @ £480
C&G 2393 - 5 Days @ £834
C&G 2394/5 -10 Days @ £1194.

Didnt really know about 2393 , but I guess means, once passed, I just have to pay to a scheme to register as will be Part 'P' compliant ?

Used to pay Coventry Council, £120 to 'inform them' of works when I was Paranoid about Part 'P', but sort of lost interest when they just knocked the door and took my Test sheets without even caring looking at job to see if I was a bodger.
Also was quoted £220 last year on extension!

Have had to miss a few jobs last year because Building Control wanted Part P, so one job could pay for the course I suppose.

And if I pass , will (i guess) mean i can apply for most jobs out there .

Eager to get started , and start swotting up again,

But any comments would be appreciated, as what with about £150 worth of new books as well, will be quite expensive.

Many Thanks people for the advise I have been giving so far, nice to have different views.

Last edited:
do the 2382 and the 2394/5. the 2394 is for initial verification on new installs and the 2395 is for eicr's.

Could somebody tell me if the 2393 is worth doing then?

I know when i looked into Part P , when it initially came out, you would pay a fee to be tested by the nic guy when you done say a rewire , but i thought that was a 'internal exam ' as such and not C&G?

Last edited:
Could somebody tell me if the 2394 is worth doing then?

I know when i looked into Part P , when it initially came out, you would pay a fee to be tested by the nic guy when you done say a rewire , but i thought that was a 'internal exam ' as such and not C&G?

The 2394 and 2395 combined is very desirable to potential employers. I wouldn't just do the 2394 on its own I would put the extra towards doing both. 2394&2395 combined is the new equivalent to the C&G 2391.

Please see edited posts! Really sorry! my confusion is with the 2393 part P course, as never really heard of it, my head is bamboozledwith the amount of C&G differences there are!
My questions must have looked really confusing to everyone.

Could somebody tell me if the 2393 is worth doing then?

If it was free and you had time on your hands all well and good,however,it will only teach you what you can learn if you bought the Electricians guide to the Building regs then sitting down and reading it yourself

I don't suppose anyone, other than training providers, put any worth or value in having such a certificate
You may be asked questions on those building regs during your Nic assessment whether you hold that qualification or not

Please see edited posts! Really sorry! my confusion is with the 2393 part P course, as never really heard of it, my head is bamboozledwith the amount of C&G differences there are!
My questions must have looked really confusing to everyone.

You can either pay the £834 for this course to guide you through the building regs, or you can download the approved documents for free from here,
Planning Portal - Approved documents
and go through the pertinent bits that apply to electrical work.

As Des says, the electricians guide to the building regs by the IET is a good buy and will probably cover more than the course will.

This certificate is not required by any scheme I know of. Any questions on your knowledge of the building regs during scheme assessment will come from the approved documents or, most likely, the summarised information from the approved documents in the on site guide.

Thanks a lot to everyone who has offered advise.

Think on the strength of it , will do my 17th and 2394/5.

Think i will be better off (as mostly domestic ), to save the money on the 2393, and put it towards a approved contractor scheme / assessment so can at least pass off my own work on new builds, extensions etc.
Will book the courses next week and start buying new books and start reading them.!
Appreciate the advise of everyone :)

Hi Bes

I looked at rugby/warwickshire colledges and rugby did 2394 @ £780 but no 2395.

Also Nuneaton does 2395 but no 2394 ! no price listed.

When i took my 2391 at Coventry it was around £500 if i remember , and most of their other electrical courses were considerably cheaper than most other colledges at the time.

I used to get on really well with a Tutor called Jim West, he basically said , that when it gets moved to new (current hillfields) premises everything will go up - and he was right!

Was supposed to be allowed to go back and do my practical, thus get my 2391, but not sure if they ever did it, as the new Tutor never got back to me, and the test rig hadent been built everytime i enquired, certainly they dont run that course now, as my workmates 2 Sons are there now.

TBH forgot totally about Nuneaton, so thanks for reminding me!

Last edited:

Reply to Sounds like good advise? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net