Discuss start up current for flories in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lister

A little help required if you would please chaps;

Been a hard week and i cant find or remember what i need to know.

In order to light a commercial store room i need to re-install lots and lots of lights, they are 6 foot twin flourecents, the question is how many can you run off one B6 MCB (allowing for start up current) so i can work back to switch quantity/cable sizes or is there a formula somewhere that i've missed.
or is there a rule of thumb allowance per fitting
thanks in advance

A little help required if you would please chaps;

Been a hard week and i cant find or remember what i need to know.

In order to light a commercial store room i need to re-install lots and lots of lights, they are 6 foot twin flourecents, the question is how many can you run off one B6 MCB (allowing for start up current) so i can work back to switch quantity/cable sizes or is there a formula somewhere that i've missed.
or is there a rule of thumb allowance per fitting
thanks in advance

hi there
from the dark side the figure of 1.8 comes to mind to allow for start up current

design current = watts X 1.8 divide by 230

check cable current carrying capacity and voltdrop and the rest of the cable sizing stuff
cheers

^ Absolute correct, 1.8 is the start up current factor for flouries and maybe you could use more 6A MCBS for the job... we did about this last week in college, diversity and spreading them equally for 3 phase boards :)

The 1.8 you mention is not the starting current but for the running current.
It's to take into account the load associated with the control gear and the power factor when not known.
Therefor if you work out that the operating current of the connected fittings was for example 5 amps, without any other infomation re the power factor or control gear you should multiply this by 1.8, so your maximum demand for that circuit would be 9 amps.

(flus are prone to hate cold weather) I would allow 100watts for each 6ft twin fitting, I'm over the top I know, but you will not go wrong with that in mind. Assuming no vd and supply feeds are within scope.
In effect 10 x 6ft twins per 6amp breaker, start up will be higher than 6 amps but it will not trip the breaker. Once running about 3.5amps

Reply to start up current for flories in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock