Discuss Stick to your own trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

magnoliafan89

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
A friend wanted me to do a side job for her. She wanted some light switches swapped for chrome ones.
I said well bit back logged with work at the moment but will get to you in the next few weeks.
I sent her a link to the switches she needed stating to make sure they were two way as they were for switches on the landing and either end of a room and also needed a 2gang one too.

Today I get a phone call. She tells me her mates boyfriend came round yesterday, claims he knows what he's doing and changes the switches....but now none of the lights are coming on, and the one mcb has tripped and won't reset.

So I free up some time and go round. I asked if the fella was a spark:
"No he's a plumber but he said he knows what he's doing"

I pull the first switch down,
" did he say he knew what he was doing?"
" yeh he said he's good at it"
" clearly effing not"

She also tells me she got the switches I told her to get but when he arrived he claimed these were wrong and he'd get her 2 way switches. He comes back with a two 1 ways and one 2 way. Apparently the 1 way is a 2 way as it has 2 terminals..????

So luckily I had some plastic fittings on the van and changed his balls up.

It truly amazes me that people will attempt something they clearly know nothing about.

Attachments

• Stick to your own trade 20200729_135552 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200729_135552.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 125
  • Stick to your own trade 20200729_135540 - EletriciansForums.net
    20200729_135540.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 139
You'd think the fact that he knew thought what he was doing was correct, but was then unable to get it working might be a clue for the future.

So do we think he is really thinks he is a Plasterer that can thinks he can do Plumbing and thinks knows he can do Electrics when in reality he can't do any of the above.

You'd think the fact that he knew thought what he was doing was correct, but was then unable to get it working might be a clue for the future.

So do we think he's really a Plasterer that can thinks he can do Plumbing and thinks knows he can do Electrics when in reality he can't do any of the above.
I would just love to know what went through his head when he looked at the bloody earth terminal and thought hmmm maybe this red one goes there

We need a Dunning–Kruger award as an alternative route towards the Darwin Award.

Had similar this week, lady who rents lots of air bnb properties down here let her handy man change a 1g 1w switch.....yep wired that up wrong!.....then had the front room moan about my call out charge that she knew about before I went.....pass the bill on to the handyman was parting words ?

Reply to Stick to your own trade in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock