Discuss Storage Heater Identification in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

K

Kaizer

:confused:

I need a replacement element for a storage heater labelled as CPEX 1700.

Does anyone recognise this make?

The rating plate does not carry any other identification and there are no badges or logos on the unit. I suspect that this is made in the same factory as one of the more recognisable brands such as Dimplex, Unidaire etc but sold to the contracting trade in an unbadged form.

My electrical wholesalers element suppliers do not recognise the name and internet searches have proved fruitless so it's down to you "on the tools" guys out there.

As a last resort I will remove the element and sketch or photograph it so that an element supplier may be able to identify it from its external appearance and dimensions.

Thanks for reading. :)

:confused:

I need a replacement element for a storage heater labelled as cpex 1700.

Does anyone recognise this make?

The rating plate does not carry any other identification and there are no badges or logos on the unit. I suspect that this is made in the same factory as one of the more recognisable brands such as dimplex, unidaire etc but sold to the contracting trade in an unbadged form.

My electrical wholesalers element suppliers do not recognise the name and internet searches have proved fruitless so it's down to you "on the tools" guys out there.

As a last resort i will remove the element and sketch or photograph it so that an element supplier may be able to identify it from its external appearance and dimensions.

Thanks for reading. :)
hiya kaizer i think youll find the elements in storage heaters are mostly all the same !!! Dave

Thanks sparkyork and heathelect for your very quick responses.

When servicing someone elses equipment we are obliged to source and use manufacturer approved parts, so that has to be the starting point.

If as may transpire in this case, manufacturer is not identifiable and parts not readily available, then it is up to the tradesman's experience and judgement to obtain and fit a suitable alternative. I guess that I will be fitting a compatible part.

Job sorted.

Took old element out and from dimensions provided on a supplier's website was able to determine that a particular Dimplex element would fit.

Wattage apart, there are physically different sizes of element and more importantly it seems that the biggest difference between them is in the connection method. Tags or rod connections exist and in my heater, with the existing ceramic terminal block only rod connections would fit.

To tie up a loose end in this thread, I did discover on my second visit to the heater that there was tiny and almost indistinct print on the ratings label saying "Manufactured by S.T.L." Still no idea who S.T.L. are, there are 417,000 entries on UK Google for S.T.L., so I didn't bother checking them all out. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Just an additional update.

I have discovered that S.T.I. are Seagoe Technologies Ltd, based in Northern Ireland, they are apparently responsible for the production of about 70% of the world storage heaters and that includes at least some of the Dimplex branded units.

Reply to Storage Heater Identification in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock