Discuss Strange wire colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Smanna

-
Reaction score
i want to attach a new light to the ceiling but the wires are old. There is a red wire, a brown wire and what seems like a black one. I dared not get them mixed up as I don't want to blow anything up. Can anyone advise on how to proceed and figure out which wire is which? Thanks

Strange wire colours 40CD0486-C821-402B-B2F1-91E931AC8AD8 - EletriciansForums.net

That looks very much like VIR insulation with cotton covering, how old is the property and is all the wiring the same?

Don't do anything yet and don't even touch it as the insulation is likely to crumble off.

That looks very much like VIR insulation with cotton covering, how old is the property and is all the wiring the same?

Don't do anything yet and don't even touch it as the insulation is likely to crumble off.
It's quite an old property and no the wiring isn't all the same. I certainly wont touch it. It is isolated at the switch which incidentally has modern colours of wiring

Scary how no one would have a TV older than 5 or maybe 10 years old, yet expect wiring to last 50-60 years, especially old technology, rubber and plastic was a world away from what it is now. Needs a good test IMHO.

That's not VIR, it looks like a 3-core flex from the 1930s, when brown was the correct colour for earth in a flex (yes, you read that right). It was probably part of a light fitting and is jointed into the newer house wiring in a junction box above the ceiling.

If the colours are as they would have been 80 years ago, red=line, black=neutral, brown=earth but I wouldn't assume anything. Light fittings were rarely earthed then so the brown might be unconnected, or it could be a second line if there were two switches for different levels of light. The cable may be perished where you can't see it, so should be replaced. If there is much of it, I will cover your cost to post it to us for the museum.

That's not VIR, it looks like a 3-core flex from the 1930s, when brown was the correct colour for earth in a flex (yes, you read that right). It was probably part of a light fitting and is jointed into the newer house wiring in a junction box above the ceiling.

If the colours are as they would have been 80 years ago, red=line, black=neutral, brown=earth but I wouldn't assume anything. Light fittings were rarely earthed then so the brown might be unconnected, or it could be a second line if there were two switches for different levels of light. The cable may be perished where you can't see it, so should be replaced. If there is much of it, I will cover your cost to post it to us for the museum.
Ha ha I think it should be in a museum. To be honest it was connected to a ceiling light a year ago and worked fine. I then took the light down but just don't know which wires are which. I think your advice on replacing it is the best bet even though it means ripping up newly laid carpet and floorboards. Thanks everybody for your time.

Not much alternative unfortunately I don't think.

It's quite an old property and no the wiring isn't all the same. I certainly wont touch it. It is isolated at the switch which incidentally has modern colours of wiring
When you work on it isolate at the distribution board as there will more than likely be live conductors at the connection point. Never rely on a switch to isolate.

Reply to Strange wire colours in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock