Discuss struggling here. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
client wants LED lights ( the small decking type ) fitting up the sides of the stairs. access is no problem, can get into void at side and supply from under stairs. the problem is that he wants them to switch using 2 PIRs, one at the bottom and one at the top, mounted in the same side panel. the only things i can find are occupancy sensors, but these are 3" diameter. what i need is 2 PIRs that are only about 1" diam. anyone know of a source for something suitable, or an alternative way of automatic switching from top and bottom of stairs.

gutterball

Electrician's Arms
You can get ones that replace normal switches. A block I look after has them. The sensor is about 1'' square and curved

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
What sort of range do they need tel? If it's just as you step onto the stairs then maybe a photocell which switches as you break the beam may be the answer. They can be extremely small.

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
How about using some of the car reversing proximity sensors Tel? Fairly small footprint, dunno what voltage they are, I'd guess 12V.

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
What sort of range do they need tel? If it's just as you step onto the stairs then maybe a photocell which switches as you break the beam may be the answer. They can be extremely small.

needs to be a passive detector as can't get wiring to other side. good idea though

- - - Updated - - -

How about using some of the car reversing proximity sensors Tel? Fairly small footprint, dunno what voltage they are, I'd guess 12V.
need to be 240V or else the transformer will be running 24/7.

Archy Styrigg

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Aren't some of those photocells transmitters and receivers in one, with a reflector on the opposing surface?

S

Swicade

With a photocell (as Guitarist suggest's) you only need a reflector opposite the beam (maybe it's called something other than a photocell,still on first coffee of the day). Wire them in parallel to a timer arrangement for the lights and all should be good.

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access

looks like that's a photocell. reacts to lux levels. i need a movement sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

With a photocell (as Guitarist suggest's) you only need a reflector opposite the beam (maybe it's called something other than a photocell,still on first coffee of the day). Wire them in parallel to a timer arrangement for the lights and all should be good.
sounds promising. never thought of a reflector.

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
8M detection range though Tel, you may need to shield it or adjust it down with a bezel to avoid false triggering at the top of the stairs.

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
where they'll be fitted won't be a problem. the actual stair risers will mask the coverage.

Guitarist

Regular EF Member
Just fyi guys, there is a photocell unit which uses an adjustable converging beam, so you don't even need a reflector. Used to use them a lot in industrial control systems.
Glad you found what you need tel.

S

Swicade

Small footprint isn't much use if they have a stair gate to stop the kids using the stairs.....

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
photocells are no use. he wants them to come on when he puts his foot on the bottom or top step.

richy3333

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Tel, I'd be interested in seeing the result too if a photo is possible. I have a partially sighted client and I've been trying to convince her to have something similar fitted because her stairs are dark and dingy!

D

drew35

TLC sell a micro PIR sensor, a small circular sensor with a remote black magic box.

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
seen that, just what i need, but how do you get to the suppliers site?

OP
telectrix

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
that tlc sensor looks good as it will do florries, so i imagine it will be |OK with a transformer load. bit pricey though, £67 + VAT for 2 of the buggers.

topquark

Electricians Arms Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There's a couple of mini sensors there, only 45secs delay on it though, guess you could use a couple of them wired to an external timer.

ruston

Respected Member
Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
There's a couple of mini sensors there, only 45secs delay on it though, guess you could use a couple of them wired to an external timer.

Thats what I was thinking , depends on the room to conceal it though, one of those mini's controlling a timer board as in a bathroom fan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.