This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss struggling here. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:  American Electrical Advice Forum

client wants LED lights ( the small decking type ) fitting up the sides of the stairs. access is no problem, can get into void at side and supply from under stairs. the problem is that he wants them to switch using 2 PIRs, one at the bottom and one at the top, mounted in the same side panel. the only things i can find are occupancy sensors, but these are 3" diameter. what i need is 2 PIRs that are only about 1" diam. anyone know of a source for something suitable, or an alternative way of automatic switching from top and bottom of stairs.

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors

gutterball

-
Arms
You can get ones that replace normal switches. A block I look after has them. The sensor is about 1'' square and curved

What sort of range do they need tel? If it's just as you step onto the stairs then maybe a photocell which switches as you break the beam may be the answer. They can be extremely small.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
How about using some of the car reversing proximity sensors Tel? Fairly small footprint, dunno what voltage they are, I'd guess 12V.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What sort of range do they need tel? If it's just as you step onto the stairs then maybe a photocell which switches as you break the beam may be the answer. They can be extremely small.

needs to be a passive detector as can't get wiring to other side. good idea though

- - - Updated - - -

How about using some of the car reversing proximity sensors Tel? Fairly small footprint, dunno what voltage they are, I'd guess 12V.
need to be 240V or else the transformer will be running 24/7.

S

Silly Sausage

Aren't some of those photocells transmitters and receivers in one, with a reflector on the opposing surface?

S

Swicade

With a photocell (as Guitarist suggest's) you only need a reflector opposite the beam (maybe it's called something other than a photocell,still on first coffee of the day). Wire them in parallel to a timer arrangement for the lights and all should be good.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed

looks like that's a photocell. reacts to lux levels. i need a movement sensor.

- - - Updated - - -

With a photocell (as Guitarist suggest's) you only need a reflector opposite the beam (maybe it's called something other than a photocell,still on first coffee of the day). Wire them in parallel to a timer arrangement for the lights and all should be good.
sounds promising. never thought of a reflector.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
8M detection range though Tel, you may need to shield it or adjust it down with a bezel to avoid false triggering at the top of the stairs.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
where they'll be fitted won't be a problem. the actual stair risers will mask the coverage.

M

Mark_Burgess

Give us a picture Tel when done, thinking of fitting some at home.

Just fyi guys, there is a photocell unit which uses an adjustable converging beam, so you don't even need a reflector. Used to use them a lot in industrial control systems.
Glad you found what you need tel.

S

Swicade

Small footprint isn't much use if they have a stair gate to stop the kids using the stairs.....

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
photocells are no use. he wants them to come on when he puts his foot on the bottom or top step.

richy3333

-
Mentor
Arms
Supporter
Esteemed
Tel, I'd be interested in seeing the result too if a photo is possible. I have a partially sighted client and I've been trying to convince her to have something similar fitted because her stairs are dark and dingy!

D

drew35

TLC sell a micro PIR sensor, a small circular sensor with a remote black magic box.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
seen that, just what i need, but how do you get to the suppliers site?

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
that tlc sensor looks good as it will do florries, so i imagine it will be |OK with a transformer load. bit pricey though, £67 + VAT for 2 of the buggers.

topquark

-
Mentor
Arms
There's a couple of mini sensors there, only 45secs delay on it though, guess you could use a couple of them wired to an external timer.

ruston

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
There's a couple of mini sensors there, only 45secs delay on it though, guess you could use a couple of them wired to an external timer.

Thats what I was thinking , depends on the room to conceal it though, one of those mini's controlling a timer board as in a bathroom fan.

sythai

-
Arms
that tlc sensor looks good as it will do florries, so i imagine it will be |OK with a transformer load. bit pricey though, £67 + VAT for 2 of the buggers.

Fitted quite a few of these on a job 4-5 years ago now ( customer supplied) good kit and no probs so far

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
if you look at the earlier utube post, that's what i want. the lights in the side activating when PIRs trigger. there's 12 steps, so top and bottom step will have the pirs and treads 2-11 will have the 10 LEDs

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
didn't look at that one as the LED set comes supplied by a 240V tranny, so i need 240V switching PIRs.

This should do ya (top one claims 230V, but will have a built in tranny): PIR Motion Detector
That was a good little find, top man.
Will keep them details.
I was gonna say flex7 (marshaling box) do a small sensor but you need a starter box for it to work but yours is much cheaper way to do it, some reports on it would be good. Your the guinea pig tel.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
that looks the favorite. i've tried phoning and no bugger picks up the phoned. will try again tomorrow.

Reply to struggling here. in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
uHeat Banner - Forum Discount Available
Top Bottom