Discuss Student accommodation. HMO or not? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
been reading a few threads on here about HMO rentals. I’ve got a few questions if anyone has answers.

This year, my eldest daughter goes to Aberdeen university. She has university accommodation for her first year, but for year 2,3 and 4, we were thinking of buying a property up there.

So answers need a Scottish based answer if different from England.

If we buy a decent sized property, can we rent out the other rooms to students (her friends) or would it be classed as an HMO?

If HMO, what are the regs concerning fire doors, fire alarms etc?

I know from letting in the past we need to be registered as a landlord in the local authority. Are these rules the same for solely student accommodation?

If we decide not to buy, and rent from someone else up there, how can we be sure the place is up to regs?

I’ll be contacting the local authority anyway to ask questions, but I might get some ideas here I haven’t thought of yet

Different authority’s require different things but around here they require
Ld1 fire alarm system

45min fire doors throughout

Magnetic hold open devices linked to fire alarm help aswell

Letter box’s locks hinges also need to be fire rated

An independent FRA yearly is compulsory

A big thing now is the flow doors take

You could always buy a house that is already a rental property investment. Buy to let purchases are cheaper to fund as interest only and alarms/fire doors etc. will be already attended to.

Rich persons problems, to be honest she will be out getting lashed dragging random strangers home..... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. ;o))))))

Rich persons problems, to be honest she will be out getting lashed dragging random strangers home..... I wouldn't worry about it to be honest. ;o))))))

You know, this doesn't make me feel at all nervous about her leaving home. Cheers @SWD

I'm thinking its going to be more money than I think. Have to pay to register as a landlord.... have to pay to get a license to be an HMO...
Will probably have to pay to furnish the place. Even if we buy a "ready made" student flat with all the extras in place, my wife would want new carpets throughout, and new beds, appliances, etc

I thought I can spend next summer doing a place up for her starting second year September 2020.... I should maybe start looking now.

Why don't you just buy her a 2 bed place... she can then rent the spare room to a big black bloke fellow girl student and it's not HMO and she can use her 'rent a room' relief ? If you still have money to spend... buy another one nearby that she can rent out to a couple/mates ?

Reply to Student accommodation. HMO or not? in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net