Discuss Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

chris2139

Hello,

My boss is away and I'm trying to score a few brownie points if i can.

We are currently working for a plastic fabrication company who have just purchased a new building and we are starting the electrical instatation.

My question is. We have a Crabtree powerstar pannel board to feed 4 new 3 phase dis boards, one board is already fed with a 63A MCCB next to the pannel board. We have already fitted 150x150 galv trunking to allow hold the singles that will feed the sockets.

So, should we use SWA from the pannel board to the dis board clipped direct to the concreet wall or are we to use single tails within the trunking to feed the dis board that is appraxamatly 40m aways. Fed from a 100A MCCB?

This will allow me to get a quote from our suppler for when my boss gets back and earn my some brownie points as I'm trying to get a pay rise.

Thanks in advance.

Depends on the size of the installation, if it's biggish and you I visage the trunking being fairly full, taking into account trunking space ratios, then I would run it in armoured so as to free up some space

Ok I think I will get 2 quotes and see which is going to be the most cost effective.

Quote one, 40m 25mm 4 core SWA and 40m of 16mm Greeen & Yellow, a gland pack and cleets.

Quote two, not too sure, can I still use 25mm singles for the phases and neutral and a 16mm single for the earth or dose the earth have to 25mm as well, not 2/3 the size of the incomer.

Oh, thanks for the response.

I'd get quotes for 50m of singles, you don't want to be short ;-)

Although obviously you can use the trunking as CPC, I would personally run a separate 25mm green/yellow as well as.

I know this thread isn't exactly new and sorry to re-post, however I thought I would post anyway haha sorry, I would definately run a seperate main earth with the single cables if you use them, don't rely on the trunking for an earth especially for a distribution board in this enviroment, I wouldn't be happy myself relying on a trunking even if earth tags are fitted for a sub main run.

I know this thread isn't exactly new and sorry to re-post, however I thought I would post anyway haha sorry, I would definately run a seperate main earth with the single cables if you use them, don't rely on the trunking for an earth especially for a distribution board in this enviroment, I wouldn't be happy myself relying on a trunking even if earth tags are fitted for a sub main run.

Sometimes i just have to laugh at some of the posts i read here, and this is one of them....

Someone that obviously knows nothing about the attributes of metal containment systems, and probably no experience of them either. Let's hope he never goes to a factory, where the whole place has been wired in metal conduit and trunking and not a separate CPC conductor anywhere in sight!! Or perhaps he should, and let him see for himself the kind of Zs values he is likely to find, ....anywhere on the system, even after 40/50 years of not being touched!!....

While everyone is giving advice on the best earth i think it would be wise to ask the OP about Gas/water and structural bonding of the new building as this will have to be accounted for when sizing the earth, is Gas and/or water the same common source or is it independant of the original building.

Sometimes i just have to laugh at some of the posts i read here, and this is one of them....

Someone that obviously knows nothing about the attributes of metal containment systems, and probably no experience of them either. Let's hope he never goes to a factory, where the whole place has been wired in metal conduit and trunking and not a separate CPC conductor anywhere in sight!! Or perhaps he should, and let him see for himself the kind of Zs values he is likely to find, ....anywhere on the system, even after 40/50 years of not being touched!!....

I cannot imagine why a guy like you thinks it is hilarious to attemp to insult someone who suggests running a main earth in with single cables when installing a sub-main, firstly wrong I have worked in factories and installed cable trays ladders, trunkings etc, I see the state of them at times as well and know they can still do the job, however what is so laughable about advising someone to run an earth wire in as a main earth? just because you have the name engineer and a high postcount and a few friends on here it doesnt impress me sonny, i wouldn't employ you with that attitude thats for sure, why not run an earth? why risk the trunking if you don't need to? surely it is good practice to do this if possible!!!

one statement comes to mind with you

small mans syndrome

oh and stop following me around the forum.

I take it that applies to me as well. Like E54 I wouldn't consider a seperate CPC. But then I know the job would be done right.

Hi-Rob, I'm aware of that fella, however theres no guarentee the trunking is up to the job really, and due to good paractice or at least I would like to think so running an earth wire around with the singles to supply the new board in my opinion is good practice, some trunkings in factories are not always in great condition are they? and the factory owner won't always pay for it to be sorted out, so covering yourself by ensuring a decent earth is connected to your new board can't be a bad thing surely, I am not saying it is something thats needs to be done, just good practice to do it In my view and am a little suprised engineer felt it a must to think it necassary to try to suggest I have no experience in metal contaiment due to my opinion about running a seperate earth, we all have our views and I personally prefer to know a good earth is connected, whats wrong with that?

If you're not 100% on using the traywork/trunking as a CPC then why not just do a continuity test and go from there?

Well, personally i would install a long submain in SWA 9 ttimes out of ten, as by the time you have derated the cable for the grouping factors, you will end up with a possibly much larger conductor size. Especially in a factory situation, where there maybe little diversioty on the loads. If did choose to use trunking, then i wouldnt have a problem using it as CPC, and i would supplement this with a bond to some local steelwork ect. I reckon that you will end up with some suprisingly low Zs on these systems I know what you are saying with regards to possible damage and corrosion, but those problems exist on all types of installation, and if designed and constructed properly, then a trunking system used as CPC will be fine

I certainely wouldn't rule out an armoured either, if it was a single phase supply though I would use a 3 core, I suppose I have no idea about running these in either then according to engineer:laugh3:

John I do understand what your saying and coming from fella, in an ideal situation your right, but a lot of factories I have worked in are old and the trunkings usually a right mess, if singles were used I am just saying I would run an earth with them, thats all, and recommended to the OP he do the same, were all here to give opinions, and of course I respect yours.

Reply to Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock