Discuss Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

The arguments here seem to be all based on personal preference but regards old trunking installs yes seen a few knacked ones but the OP has given enough insight and explained the building is new, the trunking is a new install too and thus will have been sized with thought of the content including submains supply, there is nothing wrong with using said trunking then as the earth, why spend money when its not needed if OP were putting a price in to win the job such a cost for the extra earth cable could be the difference between winning and losing the contract.
We should be advicing the OP that it is a suitable recognised way of earthing with maybe a personel pref' comment after if you so wish, the install been new will be subject to EICR periodically and will be down to the owners to ensure this happens, this will highlight any issues with damaged trunking etc as it would with any other system chosen so as long as the install is worked out and fitted correctly i see no reason against the use of the trunking as the earth, but i stress it comes down to personal habits in fitting seperate earth but wouldn't be deemed bad practice to not do so.

I suppose it is the way we down here are trained, I have never known a spark or company around here not pull in a seperate earth wire with any circuit wether fixed or distribution, all my career we have done this and been of the mind a seperate earth is important, indeed ALL of the specifications we recieve regarding new circuits insist on it, every engineer I have dealt with insist on an earth and always tell us what size (TBH they are over the top most of the time), however I have never come across an electrician who thinks it is hilarious to suggest a new member doesn't know anything about containment due to his view about main earths, perhaps I need to stick around here a bit more and learn from you guys who do not live around the west and work in our circles, we learn every day, thank-you for your help fella, much appreciated.

Kind Regards

Mike

I cannot imagine why a guy like you thinks it is hilarious to attemp to insult someone who suggests running a main earth in with single cables when installing a sub-main, firstly wrong I have worked in factories and installed cable trays ladders, trunkings etc, I see the state of them at times as well and know they can still do the job, however what is so laughable about advising someone to run an earth wire in as a main earth? just because you have the name engineer and a high postcount and a few friends on here it doesnt impress me sonny, i wouldn't employ you with that attitude thats for sure, why not run an earth? why risk the trunking if you don't need to? surely it is good practice to do this if possible!!!

one statement comes to mind with you

small mans syndrome

oh and stop following me around the forum.

I can assure you, i'm not your sonny, and you certainly wouldn't be able to afford me!! lol!!

Only the inexperienced, would suggest running a separate CPC in a metal containment system, they are just not needed and if anyone was foolish enough to provide a separate CPC for every circuit, the conduit and probably even the trunking system would need to be considerably larger as a result. Your basically a ''doom monger'' not trusting a full metal containment system, you see or make up problems that just aren't there. They have been around long before my time, and for good reason, .....They Work, and work dammed well too. The only time they can possibly fail, is when numpties start breaking into it, to run the only cable they know how to use, ....T&E!!!

A point in note, virtually all our final circuits and a good number of our local sub-mains on my present project, are run in just such metal containment systems, We are not and have never even thought about running separate CPC's. What's more, when it comes to testing and commissioning time, i already know, we'll not have any problems with Zs values, ....Anywhere on the system!!!

once again your wrong sonny, I have been intalling for 29 years and in industry, you just don't impress me with your post count and insulting comments to a new member, please have an opinion, but don't patronise new members, you don't know me or any others, you have a view, please let me and others know but don't act like a clown.

it is fine to have a view, i repect that, but to say any electrician installing an earth wire with the main phase cables in a system where a metal trunking is evident is in experienced just proves to me your in-experienced or do not like discussion regarding installation, there have been 3 or 4 other opinions here I am interested in and they didn't need to attempt to gain attention by trying to look the big man insulting a new member, (you can't afford me) probably the case, my firm only turns over 500k a year and is small compaired to most, one thing we don't do down here is cut corners on installations, right or wrong we always allow to install seperate earths in out fixed priced quotations, it doesn't mean we are thick, clueless and inexperienced.

Kind Regards

29 years a, and in the industrial side, and still know nowt about metal containment...lol!! I don't believe for a second that project consultants would be calling for separate CPC's to be pulled in to metal conduit and trunking systems, a complete waste of time and more importantly money!!!

Well with the suggestions you've made so far on this and other threads, your certainly not impressing me either.
I'm a lot of things to many people, but i can assure you i'm no-bodies clown!!

it is fine to have a view, i repect that, but to say any electrician installing an earth wire with the main phase cables in a system where a metal trunking is evident is in experienced just proves to me your in-experienced or do not like discussion regarding installation, there have been 3 or 4 other opinions here I am interested in and they didn't need to attempt to gain attention by trying to look the big man insulting a new member, (you can't afford me) probably the case, my firm only turns over 500k a year and is small compaired to most, one thing we don't do down here is cut corners on installations, right or wrong we always allow to install seperate earths in out fixed priced quotations, it doesn't mean we are thick, clueless and inexperienced.

Kind Regards

And thus spake the wisest fool in Christendom. (Refer. James VI of Scotland.)

I'm not lying sonny, and I have never met an engineer yet who doesn't insist on a cpc in a sub main run, your a big headed no-body who likes to insult new members rather than get involved in a conversation, I don't like you and want you to avoid following me around the forum, I am just not impressed with you, 6000 posts or the fact you work in china, have a view, but use your head and get involved in conversation, not try to look cool, you just don't impress me at all, I have looked at your posts to, and big head is the way I see it lmao.

Disappointed in you tony, I am only stating a view regarding running an earth wire with submain cables, theres no need to jump on the bandwagon, I would respect you more if you gave an opinion, I am not trying to cause any trouble here, but believe if the forum wants to grow it needs views from across the spectrum tony, and slating a new member with experience in the trade because he suggests to an OP running an earth wire is a good bet is quite frankly appalling.

whats the point.

Disappointed in you tony, I am only stating a view regarding running an earth wire with submain cables, theres no need to jump on the bandwagon, I would respect you more if you gave an opinion, I am not trying to cause any trouble here, but believe if the forum wants to grow it needs views from across the spectrum tony, and slating a new member with experience in the trade because he suggests to an OP running an earth wire is a good bet is quite frankly appalling.

quote Tony
I would use singles keep everything contained and out of sight. The trunking if done properly should be your CPC.

I think he already did
:flowers:

Listen, your the idiot that started throwing personal insults around, if you cant take them, don't throw them...

Bighead is maybe how you see me, but then i don't go around giving duff responses to posts. I'm afraid i speak as i see it, i'm not going to change to suit You. I'm not into the looking/being cool bit, bit too old in the tooth for all that crap, much prefer to keep warm these days...lol!!!

Look at the end of the day, if you don't want to be pulled up on being wrong on here , make sure what your posting is at least half correct. There are others here far worse than me, ....just you wait and see ...lol!!!

Des it was the second post From Tony I was reffering to, and I think you know that fella.

your the one throwing insults not me, I gave a view, you had to reply with "I laugh at these posts and the guy knows nothing about the trade comments", as for duff comments, whats duff about suggesting running a seperate earth in a sub-main, your the one who has thrown around insults not me, I am just trying to defend my view against you and due to your personality have let you know you do not impress me, if you don't like it don't keep replying, I only ever wanted to suggest my view of running a earth was a good idea In my opinion, it seems to have made you into the incredible hulk hasn't it?

Des it was the second post From Tony I was reffering to, and I think you know that fella.

Apologies,I am just an observer and replied with what has been written

and I think you know that fella
No I didn't know that.
I only posted what I understood was intended

Listen, your the idiot that started throwing personal insults around, if you cant take them, don't throw them...

Bighead is maybe how you see me, but then i don't go around giving duff responses to posts. I'm afraid i speak as i see it, i'm not going to change to suit You. I'm not into the looking/being cool bit, bit too old in the tooth for all that crap, much prefer to keep warm these days...lol!!!

Look at the end of the day, if you don't want to be pulled up on being wrong on here , make sure what your posting is at least half correct. There are others here far worse than me, ....just you wait and see ...lol!!!

Look It is not imp[ressive or award winning to keep trying to win browny points, I would be far more impressed and indeed content if you made a constructive comment regarding my view about running an earth wire with sub main cables, If your right and there are indeed far worse people here that you ( I find that hard to believe) then this site which seems really good may as well shut down hadn't it, come on now stop trying to insult and win medals and just reply to views properly and be helpful, I'm sure there are quite a few people here who would appreciate a view rather than posting comments which are meant to sound insulting, please read your first reply to me and you may see what I mean.

your the one throwing insults not me, I gave a view, you had to reply with "I laugh at these posts and the guy knows nothing about the trade comments", as for duff comments, whats duff about suggesting running a seperate earth in a sub-main, your the one who has thrown around insults not me, I am just trying to defend my view against you and due to your personality have let you know you do not impress me, if you don't like it don't keep replying, I only ever wanted to suggest my view of running a earth was a good idea In my opinion, it seems to have made you into the incredible hulk hasn't it?

Haha, ....your unreal mate!!

Oh, ...and it Wasn't a good idea, for all the reasons previously given to you, that you still can't seem to grasp!!

Can't be arsed with you any more, it's like bantering with a child that doesn't want to be admit he's wrong!!!

Apologies,I am just an observer and replied with what has been written

and I think you know that fella
No I didn't know that.
I only posted what I understood was intended

fair enough Des, your intitled to your view, I have still yet to see an argument apart from costs why my view about running an earth wire to a distribution board deserves this type of treatment.

whats the point.

I stated my view on the 19[SUP]th[/SUP] well before you started pontificating.

Neither E54 or I have to justify ourselves to the likes of you.

You stated your views, which I disagreed with. End of…

Haha, ....your unreal

Haha, ....your unreal mate!!

Oh, ...and it Wasn't a good idea, for all the reasons previously given to you, that you still can't seem to grasp!!

Can't be arsed with you any more, it's like bantering with a child that doesn't want to be admit he's wrong!!!

My name is Mike Jones, I am not unreal, I am a site technician with 29 years experience in the trade, yes I am a new member who has an opinion regarding running a earth wire with a sub main supply, you insulted me in your first post for no reason and due to your post count and credibility on here thought you could continue the insult, I am not a child, I have children though and they know how to behave, I am replying to you and standing up to your bullying so any new members in the future can post without discrimination, I have yet to see an argument to why I should be belittled regarding my view about running an earth with a submain supply which makes me deserve your treatment, I am not an idiot, and I do not need to feel guilty about standing up to you because I have an opinion you do not agree with.

MDJ;622874[B said:
] I have still yet to see an argument [/B]apart from costs why my view about running an earth wire to a distribution board deserves this type of treatment.

Well i can tell you that, It will achieve absolutely nothing electrically!!

What treatment?? For gods sake grow up man....

Reply to Sub Main Supply in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock