Discuss Suitable Ballast For Osram G23 HNS S 9 Watt Puritec Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I am trying to design an emergency prototype opensource air purification unit for use in hospitals. I bought 4 Osram G23 HNS S 9 Watt Puritec Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps bulbs and bulb holders Vossloh Schwabe 35006 PL 5,7,9,11W G23 TCS 2pin lampholder - bulb and lamps fit, but I can not find a recommended ballast device for these bulbs.
Please could someone tell me which ballast system is needed, as I don't dabble in domestic electronics very often.

About my project

Hospitals control infectious disease with negative pressure side rooms, however now we have entered a pandemic with COVID19 there are not enough side rooms to go around, or enough masks. My idea is to try to make a "Flu Hood", which will operate in the same way as a cooker hood. The "Flu Hood" which will consist of a light A frame covered in a plastic sheet will be suspended over a patients bed and it will hoover up all the air in the vicinity of the patient. The air is then passed through ducting into a UV sterilisation chamber, which will deactivate any virus particles from the patients breath, before returning the air to the ward.

Hi there, this sounds a really good idea. I am working on a related device that is free standing based on a soil pipe, extractor fan and G23 germicidal bulb. I believe that the ballasts for germicidal bulbs are dependent on the wattage and are the same as for normal tubes. My problem is that I am not sure how to wire a 2 pin G23 tube. All the diagrams for electronic ballasts show a 4 pin tube. I may change my fitting to a 4 pin socket and get 4 pin germicidal tube. Please let me know how you get on !

Hi there, this sounds a really good idea. I am working on a related device that is free standing based on a soil pipe, extractor fan and G23 germicidal bulb. I believe that the ballasts for germicidal bulbs are dependent on the wattage and are the same as for normal tubes. My problem is that I am not sure how to wire a 2 pin G23 tube. All the diagrams for electronic ballasts show a 4 pin tube. I may change my fitting to a 4 pin socket and get 4 pin germicidal tube. Please let me know how you get on !
Hi Zogtrog,
I understand you need a two wire magnetic ballast for a 2 pin G23 tube with the appropriate wattage (you can use one ballast for 2 lamps so that could be a 18W ballast). For me the better solution is to use 2G11 four pin tubes and an electronic ballast/starter. These are more available these days. The magnetic ballasts are becoming obsolete. Please let me know how your project goes - it sounds really good. Don't forget - you must not look directly at the lamp when it is switched on - the UVC light can damage your eyes and even your skin.

Reply to Suitable Ballast For Osram G23 HNS S 9 Watt Puritec Germicidal Ultraviolet Lamps in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock