Discuss Suitable cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

mcbrcd7

DIY
Reaction score
Hi to every one, would it be possible to know which electrical wire would be suitable for a 6A MCB taking into consideration that the distance from the consumer unit to the device is 15 to 20 mts approximately, I am in doubt if this cable might be 1.5mm, 2.5mm or perhaps 4.0mm. I am installing a T40i booster pump non an electrical shower.
I would appreciate your comments.
Thank you

If you have poor flow from an electric shower, it is often because you have an unrealistic expectation of the sort of flow that should be coming out of it.
Many electric showers regulate temperature by reducing the water flow.
When you have the shower running at normal temperature, if the flow increases when you turn the temperature down, a booster pump will not give you better flow.
Only a more powerful shower can do that.

Hi M - the manufacturer’s instructions for this booster pump say it’s to be fused to 3A and to have a double pole isolation switch, so a switched fuse connection unit will also be needed. I might run it off the same circuit as the electric shower, but I agree with James above that it’s probably not a recommended configuration to have a booster pump in front of an electric shower. Perhaps confirm this with the manufacturer’s tech department as a first step?

If you have poor flow from an electric shower, it is often because you have an unrealistic expectation of the sort of flow that should be coming out of it.
When you have the shower running at normal temperature, if the flow increases when you turn the temperature down, a booster pump will not give you better flow.
Thank you for your response.
[automerge]1578607531[/automerge]
Hi M - the manufacturer’s instructions for this booster pump say it’s to be fused to 3A and to have a double pole isolation switch, so a switched fuse connection unit will also be needed. I might run it off the same circuit as the electric shower, but I agree with James above that it’s probably not a recommended configuration to have a booster pump in front of an electric shower. Perhaps confirm this with the manufacturer’s tech department as a first step?
[automerge]1578607670[/automerge]
[automerge]1578608273[/automerge]
I do apologize due that I did not express myself well but I do not have an electric shower.
Thank you

Last edited:
Nominal power consumption is given as 73W.
1.0mm cable should be adequate, dependant on installation routing.
Don't forget that the circuit must be rcd protected.

Nominal power consumption is given as 73W.
1.0mm cable should be adequate, dependant on installation routing.
Don't forget that the circuit must be rcd protected.
Very kind and practical for your response, the circuit is rcd protected.
Thank you again.

Reply to Suitable cable in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net