Discuss Supply to apartments in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Planning

DIY
Reaction score
Hi all,

Seeking some general advice. I’m planning to split a property in 5 apartments with their own fuseboxes and supply meters.

However if i chose to revert the property back to run off one meter what would be the best way of doing this? I was thinking a main distribution box that supplies all 5 meters but for there to be a ‘splitter’ placed after the first meter so that if i needed to revert back to a single meter i can have the other 4 meters removed and the supply to the 4 fuseboxes plugged into the ‘splitter’ to run through the one meter.

I am not an electrician and of course would only use a professional to install. However i cannot get my mind around how this would work or if it is even possible. Any expert advice would be much appreciated.

Dave

For flats and metering you have to follow your DNO’s guidance as building network operator. This normally means a single point of isolation, a Ryefield board or similar, then the meters, from meter to a switch fuse and a SWA run to each flat.

Thankyou for the reply. If such a conversion was done with 5 separate fuse boxes and there was a need to revert to a single meter - what would be the best method to link the supply wires of the other 4 fuse boxes to a single meter? (Other than to remove all the fuse boxes and wire up to the one)?

I’m just exploring how to build in the flexibility early on so i’m able to tell an electrician how i want things. Thanks

Thankyou for the reply. If such a conversion was done with 5 separate fuse boxes and there was a need to revert to a single meter - what would be the best method to link the supply wires of the other 4 fuse boxes to a single meter? (Other than to remove all the fuse boxes and wire up to the one)?

I’m just exploring how to build in the flexibility early on so i’m able to tell an electrician how i want things. Thanks
Tell the electrician what you would like and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing to come up with a solution, rather than telling someone how to do a job you obviously know very little about.

For flats and metering you have to follow your DNO’s guidance as building network operator. This normally means a single point of isolation, a Ryefield board or similar, then the meters, from meter to a switch fuse and a SWA run to each flat.
I think 2 ryfield boxes would solve the problem.
Tell the electrician what you would like and leave it to someone who knows what they are doing to come up with a solution, rather than telling someone how to do a job you obviously know very little about.
i deal a lot with trades people on renovations. If i dont put my foot down with what i need to be done, corners get cut, the easy option is put in place and i’m left to sort it out. The good ones are great but i always try to learn enough to at least know the basics.

Anyway I appreciate you taking the time to point me in the right direction.

i deal a lot with trades people on renovations. If i dont put my foot down with what i need to be done, corners get cut, the easy option is put in place and i’m left to sort it out. The good ones are great but i always try to learn enough to at least know the basics.

You could always discuss what you want with the electricians and then get them to do a detailed quote. That way you are covered if they try and cut corners.

Doesn’t sound any good to me. 6 flats running from a small board with 6 breakers. For one the board is probably going to be 100A and 2 how would you achieve selectivity and 3 how would you incorporate the meter tails to each flat from this board?

you have not yet mentioned the amp capacity of the units or the supply,
But if you dont use the buss in the panel, instead hard wiring,
this would allow greater amperage and the flexability to loop off for the meters.
Not sure what you mean "selectivity"

Reply to Supply to apartments in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock