Discuss Supply to outbuilding in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Are you doing the testing and filling in the installation certs yourself?

Hopefully, I've just completed the part p course, so going to give a body a call, (prob niceic, unless you can advise otherwise), so should be able to do it myself. Concern would be if I have an assessor.

Ah right. I'm with you. So you're using this job as your assessment job to join a scheme.

Hopefully, I've just completed the part p course, so going to give a body a call, (prob niceic, unless you can advise otherwise), so should be able to do it myself. Concern would be if I have an assessor.
There will always be an assessor on your first job @Dan Carroll, I’d advise an easier job as your first assessment mate.....once you are a member the technical department will give you all advice you need, have only skimmed through the thread but why are you using 22 as your lb?

That's an added bonus, but primarily its for the work experience.
[automerge]1569959828[/automerge]

I'm going to phone them tomorrow. Can I get away with wiring a plug
Not sure you could write a large enough cheque for that mate ha ha ha but seriously being realistic a small Cu change is gonna be easier from a design and calcs perspective than extending to an out building...

Not sure you could write a large enough cheque for that mate ha ha ha but seriously being realistic a small Cu change is gonna be easier from a design and calcs perspective than extending to an out building...

True.

I have, in my time ignored, cut corners, and done my own thing, mechanically on helicopters, BUT it was always safe, I knew the procedures and the risks, and it was only on the item's that where not essential or important. Where you could apply common sense to get the correct result.
I feel (and again, stop me if I'm out of order) that volt drop is like that.
I appreciate that there is a time and place where it is vitally important, but to run a few LEDs and a phone charger, doesn't seem to be one of them

True.

I have, in my time ignored, cut corners, and done my own thing, mechanically on helicopters, BUT it was always safe, I knew the procedures and the risks, and it was only on the item's that where not essential or important. Where you could apply common sense to get the correct result.
I feel (and again, stop me if I'm out of order) that volt drop is like that.
I appreciate that there is a time and place where it is vitally important, but to run a few LEDs and a phone charger, doesn't seem to be one of them
I’m sure your corner cutting came after many years in the trade with lots of experience, I dare say you’d never even consider it at the beginning of your time? I think your doing the right thing here and trying to understand and do it properly, trouble is here once you’ve touched it and signed it off you are now responsible for it, is this install already here or are you designing it now? If so follow @telectrix advice mate...

Out of interest, why is it not best practice to run the outside feed from a FCU to a CU? The FCU is protecting the cable. Could there not be a case of installing a larger swa?
Remember I'm still new to this

By the way, why? I thought pretty much everything has to be RCD protected. I know there are exceptions

Creating a circuit which is both distribution and final circuit in one goes against common sense before you've even looked at the regulations,as does sharing a final circuit between a house and outbuilding.
Any fault or overload in the outbuilding could cause a loss of the final circuit in the house.
Feeding a CU from a 13A fuse is pointless, especially when the CU has an ocpd rated higher than 13A,

Whilst we all appreciate that you are new and none of us ever stop learning there is a basic level of knowledge and experience needed before you can safely go out on your own. It's not fair on a customer for them to think they are employing a qualified professional when they are actually paying for someone to practice and get their designs checked/reviewed by a bunch of strangers on a forum.

Some things require RCD protection but certainly not everything, RCD protection is generally an additional thing required for certain things. Socket outlets 32A or below and not for a specific documented purpose, TT systems, bathrooms etc require RCD protection. The only place that you would usually consider everything needing rcd protection as a blanket requirement is the domestic sector.

It’s also rather pointless having a cu in the outbuilding with a 16A MCB if the origin has a current limit of 13Amp.
You are supposed to provide discrimination of protective devices.
Good point. Do you think in a situation such as this it would be reasonable to do away with the FCU, and have the whole outbuilding on a 16A breaker?

It's not fair on a customer for them to think they are employing a qualified professional when they are actually paying for someone to practice and get their designs checked/reviewed by a bunch of strangers on a forum.
The client is actually a friend, who knows exactly where I am with regards to my current position. At no point have they been misled into thinking I'm anything other than what I actually am.
I appreciate some people out there would take everything said on the internet as gospel, however I assure you I'm not. I'm seeking people's opinions along side trying to work safely within the regulations.

basic level of knowledge and experience needed
I hope you can appreciate they didn't cover this scenario on either the 2365 lever 2 or 3, or the 18th edition, or the part P courses.
Creating an atmosphere of hostility can cause people to keep their heads down and not ask questions. This in turn can lead to mistakes being made, when if they had just asked 'the stupid question' it could have been avoided

Many thanks for your concern though.

Thank you everyone for your help and advice. I have learnt a bit more and you have helped clear the muddy water.

Look forward to picking you're brains again sometime

Reply to Supply to outbuilding in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net