Discuss swa as earth conductor? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

maint77

can anyone help with the following?
a friend of mine said that he is currently having his factory inspected and tested and the contractors have told him that he will have to run in seperate earths on anything using this method as it is no longer an acceptable practice? i thought it was ok so long as it was properly terminated and bonded at the board? any help?

So long as the armour/conduit is of the correct csa, cant see anything wrong with it.
Take a look at 543.2.2 (i-vii) new regs
Haven't got the old ones to hand .

Last edited by a moderator:
I always use the armour as the earth but sometimes take a fly lead earth from the banjo to the earth bar to make sure

Absolutly right. SWA, metal trunking and conduit are acceptable CPC's under the 16th edition, and having spent 3 days straight with my head inside BS7671:2008, nothing has changed!! of course you still do (R1+R2) and/or Zs which verifies the connection

SWA is even more relevant now, because if you use it in domestic premises (for example)it can eleviate the requirement for an RCD on that circuit:D:D

as i thought. i asked him for more details and he said most of the cables are 4mm 4core so he used the swa as earth. he linked all the banjos to earth in the board with 4mm green/yellow singles (which to be honest i never used to do) but he has been told that he has been given a 1 on the inspecion for any circuits like this. they will not issue a cert unless he runs seperate earths everywhere!

Well going by my handy little quick ref guide.
4mm 4 core swa, has a csa 0f 35mm (thermosetting 70deg c) or 25mm (thermoplastic 90deg c operating at 70deg c) on the armour, so meets the minimum csa requirement of 9mm for table 54G for swa use as a cpc.

Reply to swa as earth conductor? in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock