Discuss SWA to Garden Outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Not sure you will pull a three core 10.0mm swa through 25mm tube over 22m.
Probably not but if its done in sections it might work, anyway its something I would need to do cos sparky wont. Thanks for all your input Westward. To summarise I think that there is nothing against running in conduit if its possible and providing the conduit is further supported between posts but the conduit is not really necessary, would you say thats about right Westward?
No need for conduit with SWA. If you're going to have conduit then there is no need for swa. Especially for domestic
That sounds interesting, could use conduit suitably supported near the baseboard of the fence and run 10mm single conductors, if they exist, do they. Run to the shed is fairly straight.

Personally this sounds to me like there is no electrician involved and you are just gonna do all this your self. An electrician will/should come and test and sign this off and if he is not happy with how you have ran the cable then he will not sign it off so if you are not happy with the advice from your “current electrician” find another one. Either way don’t run swa in conduit it’s pointless use a different cable if you are set on useing conduit which it seems to me you are.

Personally this sounds to me like there is no electrician involved and you are just gonna do all this your self. An electrician will/should come and test and sign this off and if he is not happy with how you have ran the cable then he will not sign it off so if you are not happy with the advice from your “current electrician” find another one. Either way don’t run swa in conduit it’s pointless use a different cable if you are set on useing conduit which it seems to me you are.
I will not be doing it myself as I do realise I am not qualified and needs to be signed off. However, as you will see in my original post, alarms started ringing when the electrician said clip it to the concrete post which are 6ft apart, he made no mention of additional support between the post. I am glad I posted on this forumn because I now know that additional support is required at 400mm intervals and should not be attached to my fence, which is mine. When I suggested conduit it was purely to find a way that was acceptable and to add additional support, I now know conduit is not necessary. Clearly this sparky is not up to scratch and if I had not posed the question I would be none the wiser. I appreciate all the advice given by professionals on this forum and thank them for it. I will now be seeking another sparky.

I would probably just lay the cable on the ground next to the fence.
No need to worry about fixing distances then.
Exactly. Why make a drama out of it. I have done it like that loads of times, it's armoured cable, the clue is in the name. The original sparky obviously thought the same.

Reply to SWA to Garden Outbuilding in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net