• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Tagging a post for a rating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Darkwood

Staff member
Mod
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
As most of the tags/ratings you can add to the post are positive we don't need to reflect on them but with regards to the negative ones, specifically the 'Dumb' and 'Disagree' options, can we ask you add a follow up post to express your opinion and why you are in an opposing stance.

What we will not tolerate is using these tags/ratings to troll members or to take some form of revenge tactic after receiving a 'Dumb' or 'Disagree'.
We expect on these types of tags that members give a polite respectful and constructive response, we understand that members may have very different views on things and accept strong debate but we will not accept it when members resort to short hand tactics like name calling, trolling and multiple negative ratings etc..

Members found to be abusing the post rating system can expect a staff implemented holiday from the forum or a total ban.

Yes you can, but when it comes to a dumb or disagree we feel it only polite to follow it with a post to reflect your difference, also we are discussing the abuse of it where members troll numerous posts with dumb ratings and do not interact, this is clearly trolling and serves no good for the threads or persons effected.

I think my opening post was clear to what we are asking for, at no point did I suggest or imply not to use the rating system be it positive or negative, having said that I hopefully made it clear we will not allow it to be abused.

Last edited:
I think you should just get rid of it.
Keep the agree, like and funny buttons, even the informative if you must.
If someone disagrees, they can post their disagreement.
If they think a post is dumb, keep it to themselves.
If they dislike something, tough, move on.

To be honest, if they can’t explain why the don’t agree, like or think a post is dumb, their opinion is valueless.

As for bad spelling, do me a favour.

The ratings are not going anywhere soon. I really don’t see the big deal if someone disagrees or thinks what you have posted is dumb then so be it. There doesn’t seem to be an issue with the positive ratings. It’s an Internet forum at the end of the day and some folk just need to chill.

@Spin - Agree with you but as it stands and is out of my control is the fact they are there, given that situation then I can only do my best and post as above.
This is not the first time this issue has surfaced so it will be discussed in the staff room, as it stands it seems the 'dumb' option causes the problems when the member fails to give a follow up post, this sometimes leads to direct conflict between members which at the end of the day is usually over nothing, we are all adults and like Sintra says, it's just a forum, we should not have to babysit people who cannot accept a negative rating without pulling the thread off topic, there is nothing wrong with questioning such a rating but too often it goes too far.

Last edited:
Oh I dunno about the bad spelli

To be honest, if they can’t explain why the don’t agree, like or think a post is dumb, their opinion is valueless.

Oh I dunno about the bad spelling one there are two notable members who are notoriously spellers, I often tag their post with bad spelling as a joke, and I'm sure they take the tags as they are meant, I only have to misspell and bang there is a bad spelling tag up, do I mind? no of course not, I believe it's called banter, so in essence, and for info to these two members it's a joke, as someone said to me this morning "Cheer up Pete"

Get rid of the dumb button says a member who went on a load of my posts and give a dumb rating because the dummy got spit out.
There’s your trolling but nothing got done about it did it??

As most of the tags/ratings you can add to the post are positive we don't need to reflect on them but with regards to the negative ones, specifically the 'Dumb' and 'Disagree' options, can we ask you add a follow up post to express your opinion and why you are in an opposing stance.

What we will not tolerate is using these tags/ratings to troll members or to take some form of revenge tactic after receiving a 'Dumb' or 'Disagree'.
We expect on these types of tags that members give a polite respectful and constructive response, we understand that members may have very different views on things and accept strong debate but we will not accept it when members resort to short hand tactics like name calling, trolling and multiple negative ratings etc..

Members found to be abusing the post rating system can expect a staff implemented holiday from the forum or a total ban.
It's difficult to start being polite and constructive when the term 'dumb' is neither polite or constructive Darkwood. There's just no need to have it. The word 'dumb' is designed to cause upset, anger etc etc so that's just what it will do. It will not facilitate polite and constructive chat. I guess it's on the list for that very reason, i.e to cause tension and conflict.
Although...... I have just received my 4th ever dumb and it made me chuckle a little:D

Last edited:

Come on Spin!! You've given 101 dumbs :D

Dumb I choose not to use as I think it is rude but if I want to disagree with a post and not give a reason then I will.

What a ridiculous idea.

If you honestly think banning members for using the badges you have provided is a sensible way forward then crack on.

Absolutely laughable.

@Spin - Agree with you but as it stands and is out of my control is the fact they are there, given that situation then I can only do my best and post as above.
This is not the first time this issue has surfaced so it will be discussed in the staff room, as it stands it seems the 'dumb' option causes the problems when the member fails to give a follow up post, this sometimes leads to direct conflict between members which at the end of the day is usually over nothing, we are all adults and like Sintra says, it's just a forum, we should not have to babysit people who cannot accept a negative rating without pulling the thread off topic, there is nothing wrong with questioning such a rating but too often it goes too far.

How about just telling grown arse adults that get upset about a non-thing like a dumb button to grow up?

Reply to Tagging a post for a rating. in the Electricians Chat - Off Topic Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back