Discuss Talk about taking the P*** in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Testing and some form of certification is required on virtually all installation work and notification on a fair few so I just include the time it will take within the main quote, couldn't be simpler.

Hope everyone is good...Just got back from seeing a client where i have got the job of running a new circuit for some garden power and wall lights....just asked if she had any other quotes and was told that another sparky who is NICEIC had quoted as well but was £150 more for labour,fair enough but he also quoted £400 for NOTIFYING Building Control...WTF
Wow thats insane, maybe he has to bribe them every time to get them to sign off on his work LOL

I used to make an admin charge for notification, only a small amount. Can’t recall exactly how much now, but like davesparks said, it was included in the overall invoice.

The actual time taken on the Certsure online site was only a few minutes. But nevertheless it was my time, so the customer pays. I suppose you larger companies, might have a different approach.

Up to a year after I had closed my business, I had about 10 approaches from ex-customers who misplaced their EIC/MIC and Compliance certificates. I sent them copies, and info on how to get copies of compliance. I decided not to charge for this service, for various reasons, one of which was I had previously obtained monies for it.

So I definitely advise you to charge for this part of the work. £400 is a bit steep though :)

I tell all customers not miss place them and keep them safe ,if you lose them then I will charge them for a copy for them , is your responsibility.
Certsure used to give them the same friendly advice, in the email contains the certificate. If I had continued, I would of also charged an admin fee, for replacements.

I'm all for building some cost in but it seems unfair to hammer any individual with such a small job . Everybody does things their own way but to me it's wrong

In my view, if customers have lost certificates, then it is perfectly reasonable to charge for providing a replacement. In my previous life, we often had requests for copies of paperwork that had been provided to clients who subsequently lost them. usually it was their accountant who wanted them. It took time, sometimes a lot of time, searching records, and it seemed to me that we were being treated as some kind of "online storage system"...and, often, if I said ok, but there will be a charge, suddenly they no longer needed the stuff after all...they were just getting me to do the digging, rather than looking themselves.

All done online with pdf free copies, dont know how you can charge some1 to just click resend only takes 1min, maybe in not ruthless enough
They still have to be OK'd and sent to the client from the authority, though.....via post. Therefore paper can be lost.

All done online with pdf free copies, dont know how you can charge some1 to just click resend only takes 1min, maybe in not ruthless enough

I used to save a copy to my laptop, when I used the Certsure software. If I recall, you could still access the particular certificate (EIC/MW) when using their web site. You could probably copy & paste it, but I'm not sure if there's some copyright law infringement going on there.

And as I have to maintain my records on my laptop, backing up etc (if I recall, there's some kind of requirement to maintain certificates), I would make a charge, not withstanding copyright.

I used to save a copy to my laptop, when I used the Certsure software. If I recall, you could still access the particular certificate (EIC/MW) when using their web site. You could probably copy & paste it, but I'm not sure there's some copyright law infringement going on there.

And as I have to maintain my records on my laptop, backing up etc (if I recall, there's some kind of requirement to maintain certificates), I would make a charge, not withstanding copyright.
A builder phoned me a while back and said I hadn't done a part P on a job a good few years back. They were moving house and needed a copy. I found it on the 'past records' so just sent him the registration number....proof and job done. Didn't charge him, by the way.

A builder phoned me a while back and said I hadn't done a part P on a job a good few years back. They were moving house and needed a copy. I found it on the 'past records' so just sent him the registration number....proof and job done. Didn't charge him, by the way.

Your too nice; bet the builder charged them. :D

Reply to Talk about taking the P*** in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock