Tax

Discuss Tax in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Whilst I will agree in principle, that everyone irrespective of whether they are PAYE or self employed are responsible for paying the correct amount of tax.
If a person's employer or contractor makes the deduction, and then doesen't pay it, it is not your responsibility.

Thats fine if you can prove it but the OP was concerned enough to ask the question and as been said if you dont have the documentation then the IR want the money from you

Yes, as long as you have proof that they did deduct it the way of a wage slip.
No you don't.
All you need, is proof that you have been paid.
If there is ever an investigation, and it is found that the contractor has not paid any deductions to HMRC, the contractor would have to prove that deductions were not made.
Under the CIS scheme, you as a subbie don't even have to be registered.
The contractor asks you for your UTR number, they then phone the CIS hepline and verify you.
If you don't have a UTR number, you will be deducted at 30%, if you do have a UTR number, you will be deducted at 20%, or if you are exempt, no deductions will be made.
If the contractor doesn't follow these procedures, they are in the brown sticky stuff, not you.
If you were that way inclined, and you had been paid gross by mistake, you could say that the gross payments were net, the contractor would then have to prove that they weren't.

Hold on before this debate goes further what is the comment of the OP or are we all going to end up talking to ourselves again.

So OP give us your thoughts or I will unsubscribe

No you don't.
All you need, is proof that you have been paid.
If there is ever an investigation, and it is found that the contractor has not paid any deductions to HMRC, the contractor would have to prove that deductions were not made.
Under the CIS scheme, you as a subbie don't even have to be registered.
The contractor asks you for your UTR number, they then phone the CIS hepline and verify you.
If you don't have a UTR number, you will be deducted at 30%, if you do have a UTR number, you will be deducted at 20%, or if you are exempt, no deductions will be made.
If the contractor doesn't follow these procedures, they are in the brown sticky stuff, not you.
If you were that way inclined, and you had been paid gross by mistake, you could say that the gross payments were net, the contractor would then have to prove that they weren't.

I was talking about being "on the books" not as a subbie. I was always led to believe you should recieve a statement from anyone who deducts CIS payments.

Reply to Tax in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net