Discuss Terminating SWA into DB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Morning.

I have been asked to finish a job to connect a 1.5mm SWA cable into a DB which feeds a post to power some security cameras.

The SWA cable enters the building and into some metal trunking. The trunking butts up to the DB and there is a large entry hole into the DB through which the existing cables go. See picture.

How is it best to terminate the SWA? Is it best to bring the cable out of the trunking through a PVC gland and then terminate into the DB using the usual SWA terminating gland on the DB? Is there a better solution?

Obviously it would look better if I didn't need to bring the cable out of the trunking and back into the DB..

Attachments

• Terminating SWA into DB Image DBs - EletriciansForums.net
    Image DBs.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 119
Can you gland the swa onto the trunking then just run the inner part to the DB. If the trunking is busy it may help to gland the swa into a conduit box (either straight or angled) then bush the conduit box onto the trunking.

How about making yourself a metal bracket with a hole for the SWA gland and fit it to the back of the DB.... if there is room.

That trunking looks a bit busy. If the SWA is long enough bring it inside the DB and fit an L shaped 20mm gland bracket on the inside.

maybe gland it direct in top of DB.
The problem is that the SWA cable in inside the trunking to start with. To go into the top of the DB, I would need to exit the trunking before bushing into the top of the DB. I like the suggestion of the L shaped fitted into the back of the DB as long as I can find some room.

The problem is that the SWA cable in inside the trunking to start with. To go into the top of the DB, I would need to exit the trunking before bushing into the top of the DB. I like the suggestion of the L shaped fitted into the back of the DB as long as I can find some room.
It's only 1.5mm 2 or 3 core, exit the trunking, and terminate as per Tel's excellent post, can't be that difficult surely?

Last edited:
I don't particularly like it but, for aesthetics, you could always gland and banjo inside the trunking. Least work involved, too.

I don't particularly like it but, for aesthetics, you could always gland and banjo inside the trunking. Least work involved, too.
That would take up a lot of room Mate, wouldn't it? I think it would. Sorry

Not a great deal, really. You've already got the cable there, only the csa of a gland instead...certainly with an earthing nut.
The Radius of the cable will be quite large, as well as rge gland, can't see that working very well especially in a small size of trunking, no not a good idea in my thinking, still all are entitled to their own opinion.

an alternative might be, at the load end of the circuit, where the swa enters the trunking.
gland it off there and just run the singles or inner multicore down the trunking.

The Radius of the cable will be quite large, as well as rge gland, can't see that working very well especially in a small size of trunking, no not a good idea in my thinking, still all are entitled to their own opinion.
True, pal. Depends on the trunking size and space and, in truth, it's better to be on site seeing the true situation before making a decision. It's all conjecture and we're only offering ideas to the lad. We'll see how he goes about it, hopefully.
[automerge]1580335426[/automerge]
an alternative might be, at the load end of the circuit, where the swa enters the trunking.
gland it off there and just run the singles or inner multicore down the trunking.
Good idea. If it's not too far or difficult access. Adapt box on trunking for terms maybe.

Last edited:
it depends on what is connected, most of the time it is easier to put an isolator there just to terminate the swa into.
£15 for an isolator of that size, its not worth messing about with. load to isolator in swa, isolator close coupled or conduit to trunking. all done, looks neat, bill paid!!

Whatever suits. Like I say, it's conjecture, really.
I'd sooner advise on running and terming twenty odd pyros or summat:)

Reply to Terminating SWA into DB in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock