Discuss Terms and Conditions Discussion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spoon

-
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ok, I have just re-read the T&C.

Looks like we are no longer allowed to post pics from the regs as they are not copyright to us and are not our own work.
No more posting 'safe zones' or anything else.

1564744946745.png

I presume the same is for quoting the regs?

If that is the meaning then that would also exclude ANY pictures from anywhere other than your own camera (which could not be a photo of the regs) or drawn by yourself.

So would also exclude any Stock online photos whether copyright free or not, Gifs, Smilies etc.

So what happens when an old thread comes back started before the new T&Cs that does have any of the above included?

This is why I'm starting this thread.

It clearly says "Any pictures you post as attachments have to be your own work, and those are Copyright to you."

So no regs to be posted, no catalogue links... Pretty much all attachments we do are not allowed.

To be fair, this was probably an existing legal/copyright issue anyway that has just made its way into the forum t&cs.

I find it quite perverse that extracts of a British Standard, produced to ensure the safety of everyone, are restricted. The majority of the sparks on here will have a copy and this forum will most likely promote its use and for that matter its actual existence via healthy discussion. Have the IET made a complaint?

To be fair, this was probably an existing legal/copyright issue anyway that has just made its way into the forum t&cs.

Every true mate.
@Dan may now want it being enforced and that is why we had the T&C rules that came up.
Might be part of the new changes.
I'm sure someone will clarify this.

My understanding was that the IET have always taken a relaxed attitude to people sharing aspects of the regs or screen grabs of key bits like cable zones etc as it promotes safety as long as its not for profit and you arent selling the copied page etc..
in anycase the niceic produce loads of leaflets that can be shared as long as the copyright/ownership is mentioned and its not for profit.

If things have not changed and we can post pics from the regs then great.
It's just that I spotted that you can't in the T&C's.

Again, clarification on this would be good.

There are exceptions to the copyright rules: this is a quick snippet from such; Oh and I'm actually following guide lines by actually posting this as an example ;)

"the copying of works in any medium as long as the use is solely to illustrate a point, it is not done for commercial purposes, it is accompanied by a sufficient acknowledgement, and the use is fair dealing".

This is a link to the government site:

Yes, the above in post #10 is how I've always known it to be.
But the new / enforced forum rule would override that.

Ah, post 11 makes sense then.

That's the end of posting any useful links in any E.U forum.

It's surprising how many times in searches that content is being (before article 13) excluded due to E.U data protection.
It's going to get worse.

However, maybe this is relevant;

These rules apply to services that have been available in the EU for more than three years, or have an annual turnover of more than €10m (£8.8m, $11.2m).

Article 13 says it shall "in no way affect legitimate uses" and people will be allowed to use bits of copyright-protected material for the purpose of criticism, review, parody and pastiche.

Last edited:
Ok, so again, we need clarification if we are allowed to post parts of the regs on the forum, in text form and picture form.

@Dan, please can you clarify.

I think forum owners are going to have to be sensible and allow common sense stuff to be passed over and just police anything that is of a commercial nature otherwise forums will die, I can not see the likes of FB stoping links or policing every picture or video its just not realistic.

I'm fine with that as long as you know that if it gets reported it gets removed.

It's just covering our arses.

I can't see anybody chasing up their meme they made in 2010.

By the way the terms haven't changed, they've always been like that. And you did agree them when signing up. I'm just double checking people are aware before they start erasing their account and assuming all their replies go.

I may be misunderstanding this, but can I not post a picture or a link to, say, a useful terminal block or tool or something that another forumite has asked about? Those things are in the public domain and as such the owners are unlikely to be upset at getting the publicity. If I post a pic or link and then say I do not like the product, all I need is a valid reason for saying so. It is not for this forum to legislate on such matters unless a user deliberately sets out to damage a product/company/regime/person/other entity at which point it is the poster who is at fault. We do NOT yet have absolute liability on websites for the actions of users, albeit Mark Zuckerberg is still in the firing line...wrongly, in my opinion...and yes...I may not be able to say exactly what I want, but i do still have the right to free speech...which I will defend for ever.
On a different point, the Terms are not very well written. I can say that because it is true. I commend the attempt to keep them brief and meaningful, which has largely been acheived, but I defend my right to say that there are some grammatical errors...ok?

I may be misunderstanding this, but can I not post a picture or a link to, say, a useful terminal block or tool or something that another forumite has asked about? Those things are in the public domain and as such the owners are unlikely to be upset at getting the publicity. If I post a pic or link and then say I do not like the product, all I need is a valid reason for saying so. It is not for this forum to legislate on such matters unless a user deliberately sets out to damage a product/company/regime/person/other entity at which point it is the poster who is at fault. We do NOT yet have absolute liability on websites for the actions of users, albeit Mark Zuckerberg is still in the firing line...wrongly, in my opinion...and yes...I may not be able to say exactly what I want, but i do still have the right to free speech...which I will defend for ever.
On a different point, the Terms are not very well written. I can say that because it is true. I commend the attempt to keep them brief and meaningful, which has largely been acheived, but I defend my right to say that there are some grammatical errors...ok?
You can post anything to anywhere you want.

If you pinch a picture, just be fine with me removing it if it gets reported. You'd be informed why at the time of removal.

Reply to Terms and Conditions Discussion in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net