Discuss Testing Hand dryers prior to purchase in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello sparks,

I'm looking for some advice as to see how I can wire up and test hand dryers prior to purchase. As they're generally unwired, without a plug connected. I have some basic electric screwdrivers from TLC as well as an electric tester and some basic strip pliers from TLC. I'm familiar with tools just not the electrical side of it. I also have a plug with a cable attached with has a two way cable connector box attached to it. How should I go about safely and correctly testing the hand dryers. Not to fully wire, just enough to test safely. They are dyson hand dryers,

Kind regards.

Pirate's idea is probably the best. Saves putting a plug on before you test (ISITEE) them.

If the real question is how to test for electrical safety then it is more complicated (and expensive).

If you only have a couple to check then paying someone to do the testing for you would make the most sense.

However, if you have a business that will need this done repeatedly for the forseeable future then you can buy one of the largely automated testers (something like the "Seaward Primetest 50 Kit" for a bit under £300) and go on a short course to learn how to do the basic testing.

But AFAIK typical Dyson hand dryers do not have a captive cable, therefore the Quicktest / Safeblock connector is of no use as a flex needs to be connected to the dryer for test. In which case the temporary flex might as well have a plug on the other end rather than going via the quicktest. Good practice would be to put a plug lockout on the plug at all times other than when the dryer is under test, to avoid accidtentally making the bare ends of the uninstalled flex live.

But AFAIK typical Dyson hand dryers do not have a captive cable, therefore the Quicktest / Safeblock connector is of no use as a flex needs to be connected to the dryer for test. In which case the temporary flex might as well have a plug on the other end rather than going via the quicktest. Good practice would be to put a plug lockout on the plug at all times other than when the dryer is under test, to avoid accidtentally making the bare ends of the uninstalled flex live.

Very good point.

Alright. I have a connector box attached to an existing cable/plug. Though the dysons I plan on checking have no protruding cable so I'd have to open the hand dryer up. Is it generally a three core connection that's accessible to attach to it when opening it up to connect.

Alright. I have a connector box attached to an existing cable/plug. Though the dysons I plan on checking have no protruding cable so I'd have to open the hand dryer up. Is it generally a three core connection that's accessible to attach to it when opening it up to connect.

Depends if they are class II (double insulated) or not. Do they have the double square symbol?

Reply to Testing Hand dryers prior to purchase in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net