Discuss Testing rule & regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Thanks wveryone for your answers, just to clarify, to be able to sign off domestic work i will just need pat p and wont need to bother with the 2391? i will do at some point but due to expense i want to just get what i need for now. also is it a must that i have or take the 17th to get the part p?
Thanks agin people

No you do not need 2391 to certify your own work.

Yes you will need to do the 17th update during your first year of membership.

Best check with the scheme you choose first tho.

With the niceic domestic the assesor will have to be confident with your inspection and testing, but you will only be able to use Installation certificates from them, they wont let you order their periodic reports only the green generic forms.

Dont ask ! :(:confused:

no pwoblem at all just saying ...gawd :)
not sure on price but you must of been trading for a year i think before nic allow you contractor status..

dont think there is a great price diff between them some give you perks others dont,
not 100% on this but nic wouldnt allow you to do pir without there course and fees but napit is included etc etc

Why do they have to confuse things so much? As im still slightly unsure about it all i would like some advice if i explain my exact situation, hope people dont mind soz if i seem dopey but i want to make sure o go for exactly what i rquire for my need.
I have been self employed for nearly 2 years now but just subbing myself to other firms on commercial jobs.
I would like to start pricing/looking for my own work both commercially and domestic but accept this will probally be mainly domestic work i will find.
What will i need to be able to sign off work that i do to alter an existing installation and install a new installation from scratch and give it its first inspect and test and then sign it off?
I am qualified to the 16th edition and dont habe my 2391.
With regard to them inspecting me/my work, as i cant sign it off yet how do i take on domestic work for them to inspect as i am currently still subbing commercially.
Any suggestion for how i should go about things to be able to take on and sign off fully my own work would be great.

Tahnks for all comments so far!

To go domestic you will need to do the EAL VRQ you can then register with someone like the NICEIC on passing their assessment you can work on any domestic installation and self certify within 12 months of VRQ you will also have to pass the 17th edition upgrade exam

Hope that helps

Chris

Why do they have to confuse things so much? As im still slightly unsure about it all i would like some advice if i explain my exact situation, hope people dont mind soz if i seem dopey but i want to make sure o go for exactly what i rquire for my need.
I have been self employed for nearly 2 years now but just subbing myself to other firms on commercial jobs.
I would like to start pricing/looking for my own work both commercially and domestic but accept this will probally be mainly domestic work i will find.
What will i need to be able to sign off work that i do to alter an existing installation and install a new installation from scratch and give it its first inspect and test and then sign it off?
I am qualified to the 16th edition and dont habe my 2391.
With regard to them inspecting me/my work, as i cant sign it off yet how do i take on domestic work for them to inspect as i am currently still subbing commercially.
Any suggestion for how i should go about things to be able to take on and sign off fully my own work would be great.

Tahnks for all comments so far!

You will need 1 major job, (CU change, garage install, re-wire etc) and a minor job, (a spur etc) to inspect. For your big job, you could do a CU change etc in your house, this is allowed, then any other job really. Just keep your test results,check insurances, specific entey requirements etc with the scheme provider you choose and you'll be fine. You do NOT need 2391 if your competent in testing, but you WILL need to refresh to 17th within 12 months of joining basically.

Hope that makes sense

You could do a board change in your own place if you dont want to involve other people the nic will accept that as your major job, then put a socket in a relatives garage or something like that on a minor works. If you phone building controll and let them know you are waiting for an assesment to join a competant persons scheme like the nic they will say wait until after your assesment and if succesful sign it off then, or if not you can apply to building control yourself but it will cost more because a building inspector will have to see your work.

Either way you have 30 days to comply from install date sooo time your install date close to your assesment;)

ok i think tahts me sorted thanks for your help everyone,
iv been asked to do a bungelow for someone new build, am i able to do this and then get someone in to inspect test and sign off the work, obviousley someone qualified to do so, just want to be sure before i take on the job in case i cant get myself registered on and sorted out in time?

No one is saying you can't get the work signed off yourself. Provided you issue a properly filled completion certificate and inform local building control direct before you start and on completion then as long as you can show due dilligance in workmanship compliance with current regs ect the job is done.
The only downside is cost around 100 quid.
If on the other hand you are registered under a competant persons scheme like nic nappit elecsia who ever, the costs for signing work off are peanuts and its an online job without all the hassle of contacting biulding control yourself, As far as another contractor accepting the responsibility for your work, well I will let others on the forum comment on that one.

Hope that helps

Ok nice one mate that sorts me out now just wanted to make sure i could do the job if i take it on and dont manage to get paperwork in order in time for it, at least i know in worst case scenario i can go down the building control route even though its a git with the extra cost. With the building control route will i have to have my 17th or will i be ok installing on my 16th qualification as long as i do the job to the 17th standard of works?

In the many years I have been in this trade and thats a lot of years, I have gathered a wealth of certificates and paperwork. Whilst it proves a willingness to keep up to speed its no substitute for experiance, and good workmanship.
A competant person in my book is not a person who knows what he is doing. Its a person who knows when he DOESN'T know what he's doing.
If you have experiance under your belt, an awareness off current regulations and good working practice then you won't go far wrong, in fact you probably have a better knowledge base than the inspector who comes out to inspect your work.
The NIC EIC when originally assesing my ability to be a qualified supervisor were shown my level of competance on paper from C&G 236-B and C Apprentiship indentures,17th edition, 2391 JIB Approved and JIB Electrical site manager cards. Although it helps in the assesment, Its YOU and your ability that they want to see in action. I know I am going on but sometimes you can put to much attention on paperwork honestly, I have come across some real bookworms in my time,but as electricians in the real world I wouldn't give them the time of day.
You will be ok have faith in yourself,just do a good job and don't worry about your 16th to 17th upgrade until you join an approved scheme member,go for it.:)

ok i think tahts me sorted thanks for your help everyone,
iv been asked to do a bungelow for someone new build, am i able to do this and then get someone in to inspect test and sign off the work, obviousley someone qualified to do so, just want to be sure before i take on the job in case i cant get myself registered on and sorted out in time?

Speak to the LABC.

You are able to do the work, and, basically, it is THEIR responsibility to check and ensure the work complies.

As there has already been a fee paid to them for the build, this also covers checking the electrical installation.

Have a read of
1.21 to 1.26 of Doc P:

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

another quick question on same subject, with regards to jobs not notifable to building control,do i have to provide customer with test results for the circuit after iv worked on it? or only if they request it? or not at all? and if i do have to provide them then what would be an acceptable form to fill it out on if im not yet registered with the nic or the like so wont be able to use there forms. am i able to draft up my own? maybe this is a silly question but until things are clear in my head about what im doing il always ask.

another quick question on same subject, with regards to jobs not notifable to building control,do i have to provide customer with test results for the circuit after iv worked on it? or only if they request it? or not at all? and if i do have to provide them then what would be an acceptable form to fill it out on if im not yet registered with the nic or the like so wont be able to use there forms. am i able to draft up my own? maybe this is a silly question but until things are clear in my head about what im doing il always ask.

Near enough EVERY job on an installation will require either a minor works certificate or an electrical installation certificate.

You can use any 'make' of cert, some of which are available as a free download from the IET website.

Reply to Testing rule & regs in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock