Discuss Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

JK-Electrical

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I've seen some really bad plumbing installations over the years, but this one really takes the biscuit. I went to do an EICR yesterday afternoon, but had to abandon the job as I was unable to gain access to the main switch, or even remove the cover from the board. Completely unacceptable. GRRRRRRRRRRR.

20180210_135122.jpg

20180210_135130.jpg

I'm wondering if any gas regulations have been breached here. I'm also wondering if wetpants has to issue a certificate when he does boiler installations. The homeowner says she wasn't given a certificate for the work. She is hopping mad and will be speaking with her solicitor first thing tomorrow.

Whats your problem... can you not shrink down in size to get to the CU. An alternative is to take the boiler off.

I thought there was a reg for distance from a gas item.

Last edited:
that wet-pants has the brain capacity of an amoeba. get the customer to get him back and pay for a plumber with a brain to relocate.

Whats your problem... can you not shrink down in side to get to the CU. An alternative is to take the boiler off.

I thought there was a reg for distance from a gas item.
150mm from equipment and 25mm from cables, he may just have shaved a little off the distance there, 15mm from CUs??

(The useful is in a sarcastic emoji)

I've been to a similar job the customer was also not happy.
However when I rang the plumber Gas "Engineer" he was adamant the customer had said he would get the CU moved before the boiler install The customer then made up some excuse about the spark not turning up when the boiler was installed. To be fair to the plumber he did send me a copy of the quotation that stated "fuseboard to be moved before installation".

Although it wasn't as bad as your picture you could still access the CU

You should issue the basic EICR as unsatisfactory ......recording that the position of the new gas boiler prevents access to the main switch , some MCBs and removal of the cu cover.

Didn't you look at the installation prior to agreeing to do the work?

The dreaded, wanting to get one over Spoon strikes again, t or T?

That'''''s cause everyone is jealous of me..
You'r bothere'd I can tell.... :tearsofjoy:

The problem with boilers that in this day and age they are restricted as to where they can be located.

Quote for a CSU relocation once signed off take the casing off the boiler relocate CSU casing back on complete EICR and present customer with the bill.

The only thing missing from this thread is the pouting Daily Mail style selfie with your pumped up moobs the focus of attention ;o)))))))

You should issue the basic EICR as unsatisfactory ......recording that the position of the new gas boiler prevents access to the main switch , some MCBs and removal of the cu cover.

Didn't you look at the installation prior to agreeing to do the work?

Since the property is about to be rented-out a satisfactory EICR will ultimately be required. So either the boiler will have to be repositioned, or a consumer unit upgrade will be needed. I reckon the latter course of action would be the cheaper option. I'll hang fire until after the customer has spoken with her solicitor and take it from there.

I didn't look at the installation prior to agreeing to carry-out an EICR as I have a fixed-tariff for doing EICRs. I charge by the number of rooms and outbuildings there are rather than by the circuit. Ergo there is no need for me to arrange a site visit prior to carrying-out an EICR.

Reply to Thank You Mr. Wetpants, You Inconsiderate Imbecile in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net