Discuss The dreaded BSOD! (blue screen of death) in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Over the last week or so my laptop has crashed on me a few times and giving me the BSOD.
Its a few years old now, but wouldn't say it was ancient.
The error code it gives is UNEXPECTED STORE EXCEPTION

When I google that, it says that it can be caused by a few things, one being a hard disk on the way out.
It also told me to try sfc /scannow, but that hasn't found any problems.

Is there anything else that can cause this?

I do everything on this machine.... emails, invoices, even browsing on this forum.... so it hardly ever gets turned off. If it is the disk, i'm going to have to start backing up everything soon.

The laptop specs:
HP Compaq
Intel Celeron 2.16 GHz
8.00GB RAM
64-bit processor
Running win10 Home.

run the 'cmd' as an administrator and then type chkdsk c: /r
It will ask to reboot and let it scan the hard drive for bad sectors and errors.Be warned though as it can take many hours to complete.
As the other guys said,you need a new hard drive asap. SSD is the way to go.Samsung 860 evo is very fast and 500gb will set you back around £80-90.

See above re hoovering...

If its not the Hard disk it could be the RAM. Might be worth popping it out and cleaning/re seating it. If you have never done this before read up first and watch some videos, you need to be very careful to discharge any static before handling it, and don't touch the pins.

Also would recomend making a back up as first point of call if you dont have one. Dropbox is very useful for keeping a constant backup.

Make sure you have everything backed up! this is most important.

Look at it this way, something is failing and thankfully you've been given a few warnings.

Personally I think it's likely to be the hard drive that's failing.

Apparently windows fast start up can cause that error so I would try disabling that as its quick and easy to do. What make and model is the laptop?

That’s interesting to know. I’ll try that.
It’s an HP Compaq- specs on the OP

I had a HP laptop doing just the same fault, turned out to be dry joints on the motherboard where the HDD plugged in.
I dismantled it, identified and re-soldered the offending joints.
Not a job for the fainted hearted but it worked!

hardware issues can cause all kinds of headaches to find such as bad solder joints, dirty connections, and heat issues.
while a poorly communicating hdd can cause a blue screen. the primary cause of getting a bsod is an unrecoverable resource call collision.
this can happen if hard drive is failing, memory failure, and many times if the hal file is drastically different as compared to the actual hardware (swapping a drive to a different computer is a good example of this)
its a major problem with windows machines!

The poor thing has been happy for the last few days. Fingers crossed, no more.
But it has shown me that regular backups are required for when the unthinkable happens.

I know Mac is so much better than Windows... but I am just a poor electrician. They cost so much more, even claiming it as an expense.
I am too old to learn how to use a Mac anyway... I mean, the "X" is in the wrong corner for a start!!

windows headaches are why i switched to linux years ago
pinguy linux was written in the UK and its dead easy to use.
everything works well out of the box. but if your computer has uefi (secure boot) you want to change the setting to legacy.
uefi does not like linux at all

Reply to The dreaded BSOD! (blue screen of death) in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock