Discuss "The Great Debate" - Plug Top or just Plug? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

So are we in agreement then ?

It’s plug for a sink / bath

And

It’s plug top for an electrical device

?

No. It is a plug for a bath (you would need to quote the size in mm).

It is a plug for an electrical device (you will need to quote the size 5A, 15A, 13A etc and the fuse value if the latter).

So E.G. I need a 35mm plug for my bath, preferably white.

OR. I need a 13A plug with a 5A fuse for my table lamp.

IEC 60050 plug definition - "accessory having pins designed to engage with the contacts of a socket-outlet, also incorporating means for the electrical connection and mechanical retention of flexible cables or cords." No mention of plug 'tops'.

Same in BS1363 - just plugs and socket-outlets.

Wouldn't fancy wiring this one though...

That’s a “Giant Plug and Socket”

It’s a plug, when coupled with a socket, but a plug top when talked about on its own.

It’s all about fancy terminology to distinguish us professional tradespeople from the mere mortals of this world.

Bulb ... we say lamp
Light... we say luminaire
Plug... plug top.

outside our house there is a luminaire. it contains an LED lamp.but it's a street lamp as a whole. don't you just love terminology. and just for fun... light bulb . so there.

Plug, plug, plug...if it goes in a socket, it's a plug!
Sink? Plug!
Electrical socket? Plug!
Butt? P....no, belay that!

The only true exception is the drainage holes in the bilges of a boat...what plugs in there is a "Bung"

IEC 60050 plug definition - "accessory having pins designed to engage with the contacts of a socket-outlet, also incorporating means for the electrical connection and mechanical retention of flexible cables or cords." No mention of plug 'tops'.

Same in BS1363 - just plugs and socket-outlets.

Wouldn't fancy wiring this one though...
That must be some car !

has anyone ever used the term "commando plug top"? i think not.

has anyone ever used the term "commando plug top"? i think not.

is that a plug top that doesn't wear undies??

Plug top, plug top, plug top. Plug top.

Plug top, plug top, plug top. Plug top.:)

Reply to "The Great Debate" - Plug Top or just Plug? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock